It’s that time of year when practically everyone is setting goals and focusing on self-improvement.
And I planned to do the same, but then I decided to start with re-examining what’s really important to me — and why it’s important rather than launching right into goal setting.
The One Question I’m Asking
And that process led me to the realization that I don’t want to focus on self-improvement, but on a far more important question:
What is God doing?
In other words. what is God highlighting? Where do I see/sense/feel life and growth? What are God’s priorities for my life?
Three Focus Areas
As I’ve prayed and contemplated, I’ve determined three main areas of focus this year. And because I love some fun alliteration, I’ll list those areas of focus as: HEALTH – HUSBAND – HOME.
My “motto” is simple and easy to remember, which will help me as I make decisions throughout the year. If something doesn’t line up with one of these categories, it’s probably not for this year.
My 2023 Un-Goals
So for 2023, instead of goals, I’m choosing daily and weekly habits to move toward my vision in each focus area. And interestingly, my three focus areas (Health, Husband, Home) fit into the planning categories in the Joyful Life Planner (Personal, People, Projects).
PERSONAL UN-GOALS: HEALTH
My top priority this year is taking care of my health.
Vision: Constantly Spiritually Connected and Delighting in God’s Presence
- daily morning brain dump, journaling and prayer session
- tech-free mornings
- read the Bible
- be aware of God’s Presence throughout the day
- practice daily gratitude and write grateful list in my Joyful Life Planner
Vision: Healthily Energized
- walk vigorously at least 20 minutes daily
- morning stretches and physical therapy exercises
- eat protein for breakfast
- take supplements daily
- try to eat gluten free and low carb most of the time
- eat a salad for lunch every day
- drink 6-8 glasses of water daily
- go to bed by 10 pm without my phone
Vision: Peaceful, Joyful, Content
- review my goals weekly and make a plan every week in my Joyful Life Planner
- art journal at least weekly, preferably daily
- laugh daily (watch funny videos or read funny blogs/books)
- spend time in nature at least once a week
- play with my dog daily
- limit my time with social media and news
- read 1 chapter in a book before watching tv
PEOPLE UN-GOALS: HUSBAND
After taking care of myself, my top priority is my relationship with my husband.
Vision: Connected Emotionally. Good Communication. Having Fun Together.
- pray daily for my husband
- kiss my husband passionately at least once a day
- speak kind words
- express my gratitude often
- send a loving text daily
- weekly date night ($10 Date Night Ideas)
- weekend getaway at least once this year
PROJECT GOALS: HOME
My last priority is “home” which encompasses three sub-areas.
Vision: Ridiculously Generous and Abundantly Provided For
- have a weekly money meeting to plan our paycheck (Budget Binder Printables)
- give generously from every paycheck
- lower expenses/limit spending
- save $2,500
- buy a new mattress
Goal: Focused and Profitable
- weekly prayer and planning for business projects
- post at least weekly on website and 3-4 days on social media
- maximize what I currently have that’s working
- increase income by at least 25% this year
Goal: Peaceful Haven of Hospitality
- Digital Declutter 10 minutes a ay (Digital Declutter Checklist HERE)
- office declutter 30 minutes a week
- continue weekly cleaning schedule
- make home improvements as finances allow
In order to stay on track I’ll be using a habit tracker and reviewing my goals daily in my Joyful Life Planner.
I’d love to hear some of your goals (or un-goals!) for this year so leave a comment. 🙂
Cheering You On!
Want a simpler life?
Join our simplifying, organizing, life-changing community!
Click here to join The Peaceful Mom Community!
Get weekly encouragement & 10 Minute Organizing Tips
PLUS access to our Organizing and Printable Library including:
- 10 Minutes a Day Declutter Calendar — focus on one small area each day of the month
- Organizing Printables – to organize your life one baby step at a time
- Monthly Gifts – because who doesn’t love a surprise?
You May Also Enjoy:
This is so good to help me focus too! Thank you!
I’m so glad Barbara!
LOVE THIS! These are goals I can actually USE in my very often crazy-busy life, and focused in the RIGHT direction! Thanx for sharing your insight! 🤗❤🙏
I’m so glad I could encourage you Becky! 🙂