See my 2021 Goals and learn how I set goals differently.
Well if 2020 taught us anything it was that life doesn’t always turn out the way we planned, so I almost chose not to create goals for myself this year.
But I also learned that if I have goals, I much more likely to accomplish something instead of just being a couch potato.
Before I thought about my goals for this year, I took time to review my goals from last year (read about that HERE). I always review my previous goals before setting new ones and evaluate what worked and what didn’t.
Why Traditional Goal Setting Doesn’t Work for Me
Most people will tell you to create SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound) goals, but that plan doesn’t really work for me.
A couple of years ago, I took the Gretchen Rubin Four Tendencies Quiz (at GretchenRubin.com), and discovered that my tendency is the Rebel, which means that I if I set a goal to do something, I will automatically rebel against that goal and NOT accomplish it. It doesn’t even make sense, but knowing that about myself has enabled me to set goals in a way that I can actually reach them.
I have to have a strong “why” that makes sense to me and I have to truly want to reach a goal, rather than trying to accomplish a goals someone else thinks is a good idea.
How I Set Goals Differently
So here’s how I create goals now:
- Write vision statements for each priority life area (Personal, People, and Projects) rather than goals.
- Highlight my Word of the Year (“Delight” for 2021). See How to Choose an Inspired Word of the Year HERE.
- Focus on Habits because our daily habits are what truly make up our life.
- Create and refer to a monthly vision board in my Joyful Life Playbook every month.
My Goals for 2021
Vision: Constantly Spiritually Connected and Delighting in God’s Presence
- daily morning brain dump, journaling and prayer session;
- tech-free mornings;
- morning prayer walk;
- read the Bible daily;
- be aware of God’s Presence throughout the day;
- listen to worship music daily while meditating on God;
- practice daily gratitude and write grateful list in my Joyful Life Planner every day.
My Physical Health
Vision: Healthily Energized
- walk vigorously at least 20 minutes daily;
- morning stretches and physical therapy exercises;
- 5 minutes dance daily (I use You Tube dance videos);
- eat protein for breakfast daily;
- try to eat gluten free and low carb most of the time;
- eat a salad daily;
- drink 6-8 glasses of water daily;
- go to bed by 10 pm without my phone;
- do art work while I’m watching tv instead of eating.
My Emotional/Mental Health
Vision: Peaceful, Joyful, Content
- review my goals weekly and make a plan every week in my Joyful Life Planner;
- make a monthly vision board and refer to it throughout the month;
- art journal at least weekly, preferably daily;
- include more play in my week (coloring, miniatures, blowing bubbles);
- laugh daily (watch funny videos or read funny blogs/books);
- spend time in nature at least once a week;
- play with my dog daily;
- limit my time with social media and news.
Vision: Connected Emotionally. Good Communication. Having Fun Together.
- kiss my husband passionately at least once a day;
- speak kind words/express my gratitude daily;
- laugh together often;
- weekly date night ($10 Date Night Ideas);
- weekend getaway at least once this year.
My Children (all adults now)
Vision: Connected But Not Codependent
- pray daily for my children;
- put down my phone when someone is speaking to me & look at them;
- call each child at least once weekly;
- have a monthly date with each of my children who live locally;
- at least three family fun outings/get togethers this year.
My Extended Family/Friends
Vision: Connected and Loving
- pray for extended family members at least weekly;
- weekly phone calls or texts to close family members;
- weekly call or text with close friends;
- meet weekly with my small group.
Vision: Ridiculously Generous and Abundantly Provided For
- have a weekly money meeting to plan our paycheck (Budget Binder Printables);
- give generously from every paycheck;
- lower expenses/limit spending;
- completely pay off debt this year;
- save $10,000 (aiming really high).
Goal: Focused and Profitable
- weekly prayer and planning for business projects;
- finish and implement strategies from business book I’m reading;
- write at least one ebook;
- make videos for series;
- post at least weekly on website and daily on social media;
- maximize what I currently have that’s working;
- increase income by at least 25% this year.
Goal: Peaceful Haven of Hospitality
- declutter our entire house by the end of the year by doing daily 10 Minute Declutter;
- continue weekly cleaning schedule;
- make home improvements as finances allow.
I would love to hear your goals for this year so be sure to leave a comment. 🙂
Cheering You On!
Want a simpler life?
Join our simplifying, organizing, life-changing community!
Click here to join The Peaceful Mom Community!
Get weekly encouragement & 10 Minute Organizing Tips
PLUS access to our Organizing and Printable Library including:
- 10 Minutes a Day Declutter Calendar — focus on one small area each day of the month
- Organizing Printables – to organize your life one baby step at a time
- Monthly Gifts – because who doesn’t love a surprise?
You May Also Enjoy:
Leave a Reply