Did I mention that our family loves cornbread? This super easy Mexicali Cornbread Casserole mixes our love of cornbread with spicy south-of-the-border ingredients to create a delicious combination.
A tasty south-of-the border casserole from ThePeacefulMom.com!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups frozen kernels, divided
- 1 (8.5 ounce) package corn muffin mix, prepared
- 2 cups Mexican Style shredded cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add pepper and onion and cook until almost tender.
- Add ground beef into skillet and stir to brown it.
- Drain the fat.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, black beans, 1 cup of the corn kernels and the taco seasoning.
- Cook and stir 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon meat mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Prepare cornbread batter as directed on package but add 1 cup cheddar cheese and 1 cup frozen corn kernels.
- Spread cornbread mixture over meat mixture. Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until the cornbread is lightly brown and done through.
- Let stand 5 mintues before serving.
Make this gluten free by making your cornbread from scratch using corn meal rather than a cornbread mix.
Make an easy side dish by tossing together 1 cup red grape tomatoes, halved; 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro; 1/2 cup corn kernels; and if desired, 1/3 cup green or black olives, halved. You can also spoon this over the casserole.