Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Recipe
I just can’t think of a much better combination than chocolate and peanut butter, and this delicious gluten free pie combines the two perfectly. We adapted this version from a recipe on the side of a Chex cereal box, and it’s a bit of work, but well worth the effort.
- 3 cups Chocolate Chex Cereal, finely crushed
- 6 tablespoons (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 12 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa, sifted
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream plus 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- semisweet baking chocolate shavings for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together cereal and melted butter.
- Press cereal mixture into the bottom and sides of an ungreased 9 inch pie plate.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, or until set.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake crust 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle baked crust with 1/3 of the chopped baking chocolate.
- Meanwhile, in a large heatproof bowl, mix cocoa and remaining chopped baking chocolate. Set aside.
- In a 1 quart heavy saucepan, heat half and half over medium high heat until almost boiling.
- In medium heatproof bowl, whisk together sugar, egg and egg yolks until pale yellow.
- Slowly beat in half of the hot half-and-half, then pour egg mixture into saucepan with remaining half-and-half.
- Reduce heat to medium and heat mixture to just boiling.
- Cook mixture while beating with a whisk, about 1 minute or until thickened.
- Pour through a sieve into reserved cocoa mixture and beat with a whisk until smooth.
- Pour combined mixture into prepared crust and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Wipe out saucepan. Add 6 tablespoons cream.
- Heat cream to boiling over medium-hi heat.
- Place vanilla baking chips and peanut butter in medium heatproof bowl.
- Pour hot cream on top and let stand until chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Beat mixture with a whisk until smooth.
- Spread evenly over chilled pie.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with a garnish of fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
You May Also Enjoy:
I’m linking up to Gluten Free Wednesdays!
I’m also linking up to Gluten Free Tuesday.