Make Your Own Fajita Seasoning Mix- My absolute favorite restaurant meal is Steak Fajitas. I love the way the plate sizzles when they bring it to the table, and the aroma of the grilled peppers and onions along with the amazing taste of fresh guacamole make my taste buds sing!
While I can’t reproduce the sizzling pan for you, I can tell you how to make an amazing marinade for fajitas at home.
When making steak or chicken fajitas I usually use a fresh marinade for the meat. See below for a dry fajita seasoning mix.
A fresh and tasty recipe from ThePeacefulMom.com!
- juice from 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of steak or chicken strips
- Combine all ingredients in a glass jar or bowl.
- Pour mixture over meat and stir to coat well.
- Cover dish and marinate meat for at least one hour or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Use this Steak Fajita Recipe when your meat is marinated.
You can also make this Dry Fajita Seasoning Mix which you can store in the pantry for up to 3 months.
An easy Make-Your-Own recipe from The Peaceful Mom!
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (optional thickener)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Makes the equivalent of one pre-made packet.
Or try this simpler recipe:
A simple Do-It-Yourself recipe from The Peaceful Mom!
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Pour spices into a glass bowl and whisk to combine.
- Use 3 tablespoons of mix for 1 pound of meat.
- Store unused mix in an airtight glass container.
Click here to sign up for my FREE Weekly enotes and get FREE gifts including my Stress Free Meals ebook and more!
You May Also Enjoy:
Sara Brooks says
I used the dry rub on chicken and shrimp! Ummmmmm! I am always lookin for gluten free recipes.
Kimberlee Stokes says
I am so glad that you liked it Sara! Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
Linda Wagner says
THANKS so much for the mixes! the dry Fajitas one is a big hit in our house and such a nice HEALTHY version. The packaged one was so full of preservatives!! Thanks so much!!
You are very welcome Linda! I am so glad that you enjoyed it. 🙂
Darrin H. says
Really nice marinade and very nice seasoning. I’m from south Texas and these both do justice to any thing I’ve tasted. Thanks
Thanks Darrin! Glad you like them.
Sue maxwell says
Thank you for this recipe…I will never buy another packet mix again! Delicious!
You are very welcome! I am so glad that you liked it. 🙂
can i substitute smoked paprika for regular? I’m pretty inexperienced with respect to spices:)
I haven’t tried it myself, but I think that would be fine. Let me know if you like it. 🙂
I used the Fajita marinade, let it sit for almost 2 hours, then used the Dry Fajita seasoning mix with a cup of water. Made chicken and steak. The steak tasted better, but both were VERY good! Thank you for a simple yet good recipe!
I am so glad you enjoyed the recipes Taina! Thanks for taking the time to let me know. 🙂
Wow!!! this recipe totally awesome. It is so good, it is not only GOOD but it saved on me running to the store every-time my son wanted fajitas, never knew it was so simple to make this spice that comes in a package… THANK YOU SO MUCH.
You are welcome Cindy! So glad you like it. 🙂
We live overseas and over the years we’ve carried back such treats. I’m so thrilled with the opportunity to make them ourselves and save that excess baggage/postage! Thanks! Can’t wait to try them!
You are very welcome Becky!
Lynn C says
I used both the marinade and dry seasoning mix recipes tonight! I used chicken and steak…they were both fantastic! Thanks for the great recipe!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!