My friend Brenda’s great black beans recipe- spicy and delicious!
A frugal and delicious recipe from ThePeacefulMom.com!
- 2 cups dry black beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cubes of green sauce* (see below)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- (**See Quick Directions below.)
- Soak beans over night. (You can add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar or lemon juice to help break down the fibers in the beans and make them easier to digest.)
- Discard water and rinse beans. Set aside.
- Combine oil, green sauce and tomato paste in the bottom of a large pot.
- Saute gently until everything is well combined.
- Add beans and water to cover beans plus one inch.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 3-4 hours.
- Serve over rice with sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips.
- Serves 6-8
*BRENDA’S GREEN SAUCE
2 medium green bell peppers, chopped 1 large onion, chopped 1 small bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped 2 cloves garlic 1 jalapeno (or more if you like heat)
Blend until pureed. Freeze in ice cube trays. Use in bean dishes, soups, chili.
**QUICK DIRECTIONS (PRE-COOKED BEANS)
(I personally cook my beans ahead of time and have them in the freezer.) Thaw beans over night.
Place oil, green sauce and tomato paste in the bottom of a large pot and saute for a few minutes until everything is well combined.
Add cooked beans. Stir to combine ingredients and cook over low heat until the beans are heated through.
This recipe has a richer flavor if the beans are cooked ahead of time and then heated in the sauce.