Mar
2014

How to Live Abundantly While Living On Less

How to Live ABUNDANTLY Living On Less - The Peaceful Mom

pinit

How to Live Abundantly While Living On Less

Do you want to live a joy-filled, abundant life but you feel discouraged because your finances are not where you want them to be?

It may seem contradictory to talk about living abundantly while living on less, but it is possible.

In the book of John in the Bible, verse 10:10 says that God came that we might have life, and that we might have it more abundantly. That word “abundantly” means “exceedingly”, “over and above”, “more than is necessary”. So how can we live “over and above” when our finances seem to be lacking?

Give us this day our daily bread.

The first step is to be thankful and content that you have what you need for today. Do you have somewhere to sleep, food to eat, a healthy body? Be thankful that you have the basic necessities.

Enjoy the small things.

Rather than focusing on the negative circumstances in your life, focus on the small blessings. What can you enjoy today – a chat with a close friend, a long hug, the smell of freshly baked cookies, good music, a walk in the sunshine?

I keep a small mint plant in my kitchen window so I can enjoy it’s fragrance daily, and I try to take a walk as often as possible to enjoy nature. Neither of these things cost money, but they enable me to enjoy life and focus on what is good rather than any discouraging circumstances.

Be generous.

When we focus on the needs we have, we often try to control our finances more, but opening up our wallets and our lives to helping others gives us a new perspective and creates gratitude and joy for us as well as the people we are helping. As  Proverbs 11:25 says,”A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.”

Ask God to give you a new perspective.

If you struggle with comparing your self to others, being discontent or depressed, ask God to help you see things differently. Prayer is a great antidote to negative thoughts.

99 ways to jump for joy photo--270

If you need a little help finding those small blessings in your life, click here to subscribe to The Peaceful Mom e-notes and print my exclusive 99 Ways to Jump for Joy Subway Art Print.

How do you live abundantly with less money? Leave a comment.

photo credit: imagerymajestic; FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Conny March 18, 2014 at 3:42 pm

No, I don’t live abundantly on less … but I’d like to learn how!! My biggest issue is the coveting/comparison thing – and my way to avoid that was to avoid people in general. In fact, blogs often make me discontent because I am seeing/reading about all the things ppl are doing and have that I don’t/can’t. Like a big baby, I get sad and feel sorry for myself and my family.
While I realize those bloggers are just sharing, and don’t set out to make anyone feel bad/inadequate, I am learning to just avoid them, too.
Which is too bad because I’m missing out on the things I can glean from others and bloggers who have non-material things to offer me as well.

But I appreciate blogs like yours so much more that help me focus on what I have, what I can do, and how to just be thankful for what I do have – and make good use of my time and money.

Kimberlee Stokes March 18, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I have to avoid some blogs and websites myself Conny, so don’t feel bad. I am glad that I have encouraged you a little bit. :)

Lauri March 18, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Hi kimberlee!!!! Again, I owe you a big thank you, for telling it like it is, I sooo love and appreciate knowing others are figuring out ways to make ends meet. Conny’s comment above is right on the mark as well, I watch YouTube videos and read some blogs and it seems like a lot of young people have an abundance of money, with nice houses, and get to go on vacation wherever they want, and buy whatever they want WHENEVER they want, it’s frustrating as a single mom, trying to keep my head above water, paying down my debt and still attempting to do fun things with my son..but I pray, and somehow always get what I need, and truthfully…attempting to believe I live in abundance( even when I don’t) the law of attraction is HUGE, if you think it, if will come, sorry for rambling, but just wanted to share a bit of my experience and thank you for all you do!!

Kimberlee Stokes March 19, 2014 at 12:39 pm

You are very welcome Lauri! I am sorry that you are in a difficult situation financially, but I admire you for paying down your debt and not giving up. Thanks for taking the time to let me know that you were encouraged.

Francesca March 19, 2014 at 5:43 am

Hi Kimberlee!
I tend to think as you do: we have health, a home, a job. We have love, we have friends (not many, but good ones), we have people we care about, and they care about us. We laugh and smile a lot. In a word: we are happy.
Surely we have problems to face, bills to pay, money that sometimes never seems enough, and there are times when it’s difficult not to focus on the negative side of things.
But if I look at the whole picture I can say we are blessed. We really enjoy life, even if we don’t travel and sleep in five stars hotels, even if we don’t wear griffed clothes and stuff like that.

Moreover I often hear stories of people who have lots of money but do have problems, or are unsatisfied with their life because they suffer from the lack of things that money just can’t buy.
Sure luxury is attractive, but I’d rather live happily with a little income than rich but depressed.

Kimberlee Stokes March 19, 2014 at 12:40 pm

It’s good to know there are others in a similar situation Francesca. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

megan March 19, 2014 at 10:52 am

Your blog is so helpful to me. My husband is looking to change careers (I am a SAHM) and we are probably going to be taking a 50% or more paycut. I am finding myself getting totally wrapped up in the financial situation, so it is good to see this to get a much better perspective!

Kimberlee Stokes March 19, 2014 at 11:31 am

I am so glad that I could encourage you Megan. I’m sorry that you find yourself in that position, but I pray that God will provide for you in miraculous ways and give you ideas to bring more money into your home. :)

Harriette March 21, 2014 at 5:32 pm

You covered the main things: gratitude, enjoying the little things and giving. At the end of each month my husband go over all our anticipated expenses and make sure there’s enough money in the bank account for that. I’m always pumped when there is a surplus that we can give away, but that has not happened in a while. The last two months we were not where we wanted to be and it was easy to get grumpy about it, but we could trace the reason to two weeks of unpaid leave I took to go on a mission trip in January. I keep reminding myself how “worth it” that experience was and that we’re not in debt.

Kimberlee Stokes March 22, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Hi Harriette! It is difficult when there doesn’t seem to be extra, but good for you for focusing on the positive. Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)