Feb
2014

$125 Budget Weekly Menu {+ easy recipes!}

$125 Budget Weekly Menu –See how I feed my family of six including 4 teens for $125 a week!

This week’s sale items included Feta Cheese, Eat Smart Raw Vegetables and Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, so you will see those on the menu. Our weekly total spending was $131.40, slightly over budget. This will be our first trip for the month of March.

*Items marked with an asterisk were purchased in previous weeks in the $125 Budget and are in the pantry, fridge or freezer. Click purple links to go to recipes!

Veggie Breakfast Scramble--The Peaceful Mom

BREAKFAST

Veggie Breakfast Scramble, orange slices

French Toast, sausage links*

Cinnamon Raisin Toast* with peanut butter

Cottage Cheese with fresh blueberries

Egg and Cheese Bagel

Cereal with milk x2

Cheese quesadilla

LUNCH

Easy Cheese Quesadillas, raw broccoli and cauliflower with ranch dressing*

Ham and Cream Cheese Rollup, apple slices

Salad with Italian Chicken

Turkey Sandwich, carrots and ranch dressing*

Egg Salad, celery sticks

Nachos with avocado slices, cherry tomatoes

Apple Sandwiches, pretzels

Steak Fajitas 2--The Peaceful Mom

DINNER

Delicious Steak Fajitas, Fresh Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Easy Chicken Stir-Fry, rice*

Greek Pasta Salad, garlic toast

Fettucini Alfredo, romaine salad

Taco Bowls (Beantastic Taco Meat, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, sour cream and salsa served on corn chips), Broccoli Slaw Salad

Baked Potatoes with bacon, steamed broccoli and cheese, salad

Leftovers

Read what we do about snacks here.

What are you eating this week? Leave a comment or link. :)

Please Note: I post my weekly menu to encourage menu planning and to give meal ideas, not as a nutritional standard. You should feed your family based on your priorities and values. You may not be able to replicate this exact menu for $125 because sales vary by region and you will have different items on hand, but you can save money just by using a menu. :)

New Save More Clip Less eBook  - The Peaceful MomRead how I feed my family for less without extreme couponing in my Save More-Clip Less ebook!

Click here to see what others are saying about this book

You can also check out my favorite meal planning service eMeals*. Plans start at just $10 a month for a 3 month subscription and include recipes and a grocery list!

Readers of The Peaceful Mom can get an exclusive 10% discount by using promo code PEACEFUL at checkout. They even have a slow cooker plan for those busy weeks!

Click here to see a sample menu.

Customizable Meal Planners

Easy Meal Planning

More Easy Recipes!

For more menu ideas, check out OrgJunkie Menu Plan Mondays.

*affiliate link– Read our disclosure policy here.

Jennifer Hoffman March 3, 2014 at 12:56 am

Love this!! Do you do any freezer cooking? How much of this is homemade? For example, store bought or homemade bagels and is the cinnamon raisin bread homemade?

Jennifer Hoffman March 3, 2014 at 1:08 am

Also do you keep any baked goods on hand for snacks?

Jennifer Hoffman March 3, 2014 at 1:32 am

Sorry one more question….what do you do for drinks??

Kimberlee March 3, 2014 at 10:55 am

We almost exclusively drink water with the occasional hot tea or cocoa. You can read more about why here: http://thepeacefulmom.com/2012/05/08/living-on-less-than-28000-a-year-drinking-problems-2/. Hope that helps.

Kimberlee March 3, 2014 at 10:54 am
Kimberlee March 3, 2014 at 10:53 am

Hi Jennifer! It would probably be cheaper to make the bread myself, but I can buy it so cheaply at Aldi’s I don’t take the time to do it. I have never tried making homemade bagels. I do brown ground beef with onions and spices and freeze it for later. You read more about that here: http://thepeacefulmom.com/2010/02/27/easy-freezer-cooking/.

Jennifer Hoffman March 3, 2014 at 11:34 am

Thanks so much for your replies!! Totally agree about aldis! Do you include anything other than food in your $125 budget? Do you try to keep the meals a healthy balance?
Also, how much couponing do you recommend?

Kimberlee March 3, 2014 at 1:22 pm

The $125 is just for food products for our family of six including 4 teens. I spend between $40 and $60 a month on non-food items like toiletries, laundry detergent, etc. You can read more about how I save on groceries here: http://thepeacefulmom.com/save-money-on-groceries/. I am a previous extreme couponer, but I no longer use coupons. You can read my story in my ebook Save More Clip Less: Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half here. Hope that helps. :)

Amber March 3, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Hi, Kimberlee! I absolutely love your site. You’ve really helped and inspired my family to save money on our outrageous grocery bills! My question is about the Fettucine Alfredo. Do you make that from scratch, do you buy the noodles and the premade sauce, or do you just go for the frozen, family-sized version that you just pop in the oven? Just wondering what would be the most cost-effective, yet tasty, method.

Thanks!

Kimberlee March 3, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I am so glad that I could encourage you Amber! For the Fettucini Alfredo, we purchase the noodles and make the sauce from scratch. To make the sauce I melt 2 sticks of butter in a pan on the stove. I add 1 pint of whipping cream, a pinch of garlic salt and stir for a couple of minutes to let the cream heat up. I then add 1 cup of freshly grated parmesan (not the kind in the green can). I buy the ingredients at Aldi so it keeps the cost down.