Weekend Excitement (which may or may not have involved fire)

Affiliate Link Disclosure B

Never a dull moment at our house!

I am currently on day 10 of possibly three weeks or more of bed rest to heal my knee after I suffered a knee cap dislocation. As in, this A-type personality can’t really do ANYTHING at all. I am sure there is a lesson in there somewhere, like how to not be upset when someone accidentally puts your “can’t-be-put-in-the-dryer-because-it-will-shrink” shirt in the dryer for 45 minutes.

I failed that test.

My Cool Ride

I am also learning to humbly and gratefully ask for help about 257 times a day — only mostly without the humble part of that equation. I am able to stand or sit upright for only 10-15 minutes at a time without severe pain, and I am using a walker to make it to the bathroom. I occasionally take my old lady self on difficult, brief visits to other rooms just so I don’t forget what my house looks like, and so I can tell family members to clean up their messes in an irritated tone of voice. Just keepin’ it real folks…

To add insult to injury, on Saturday my laptop decided to stop working. I don’t have a smart phone or other mobile device, so as I contemplated being completely cut off from the outside world for the next 14-21 days, I decided to indulge in a good cry and a long nap, both of which can do wonders for your emotional state, although they do little to actually solve any problems.

Once I woke up, I hobbled my walker into the kitchen to sit for a couple of minutes while my daughter was cooking dinner. (Thank goodness for teenagers who can cook!)

Just after I sat down my daughter opened the oven door and asked,”Is that normal?” This is not something that I like to hear in reference to dinner, and it turned out to be worse than I expected. The heating element was bright orange in one spot, then that spot quickly turned bright white, and sparks started moving along the element like a stick of dynamite about to explode. To my credit, I only panicked after my first couple of attempts to put out the flames that erupted from those sparks. I may or may not have screamed hysterically for my husband, who ran in, pulled the oven away from the wall and unplugged it.

Evidently electrical fires once deprived of their power source, die down quickly. Adrenaline rushes, not so much.

So for now we are eating lots of sandwiches since we can’t use the stove top or oven, and we are waiting semi-patiently for our management company to send a technician to either replace the heating element or the entire oven.

The good news is that we did not burn down the house,

and my laptop started working again.


Subscribe Hero--The Peaceful Mom


Make Money from Home!

Click here for a complete list of The Peaceful Mom’s recommended survey sites.

Related AD Topics


  1. Rebecca says

    I am sorry, Kimberlee, but this just cracked me up. It’s always easier, though, to laugh when it is not your immediate self or family experiencing the excitement!! Take care of yourself.

  2. Erica says

    I’m laughing at your depiction of events….and at knowing that this is *precisely* how I would’ve reacted under the circumstances. Here’s to a quieter week at your house! How are y’all at slow-cooker meals? That might prove to be your best friend for the next few days.

  3. Tonia says

    Oh, goodness! I hope everything works out for you. I came across your blog less than a year ago and have come to really love and greatly appreciate your posts and advice. Thank you for being so willing to share. You certainly have my prayers for a speedy recovery.

  4. Pam says

    Thank you for making my house look normal, HA! We also have, let’s say, interesting, adventures at our house too. Glad it all turned out well…and thanks for the giggle!

  5. Bobbie Czajka says

    Oh my goodness – three weeks off your feet? That would drive a saint crazy! Holy cow – I will keep you in my prayers. and your laptop situation. and your stove situation.

  6. says

    oh dear, Kimberlee!!!! Bless your heart … literally – because of your near heart attack!! Glad all is well enough now but yikes!!
    My husband had to use a walker for 2 months or so post-surgery after severely shattering his lower left leg bones (fib-tib) as a result of a ladder accident in Oct 2012. Oh man, humbling days (for him) … but you know, it was a pleasure to be able to serve him for that time period – although we were ALL glad when it was over – and he had at least moved on to crutches!! (there is a permanent dent in our love seat where he sat, laid, and slept for those 2 months!! It was too painful to move back to the bed and take all his foot-propping-upping-stuff with him!). :) You will make it!!!!! One day at a time!

  7. says

    What a weekend! At least you don’t get bored! :) It’s good to see you described the whole situation in a funny way, thank you for sharing this! Hope you’ll get well soon.

  8. Sue says

    LOVE that you are keeping it real! Thanks for being honest. Life is full of these kinds of moments. Hang in there and take care of yourself!

  9. Paula says

    Oh geez so sorry to hear about your knee. Glad you all are safe from the fire. You still have me cracking up through it all though. You’ve got that knack to make people laugh. I wish there was a “like” button after each sentence so I could click on the sentences that made me laugh the loudest. Hope you get well soon and that the laptop decides to behave as it should. The speakerphone on my mobile stopped working for a week or so then voila today it was back up again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *