The Year Of …

Affiliate Link Disclosure B

More Journal Page - The Peaceful Mom

Yes, I realize that it is Christmas Eve Eve, and I should probably be writing something jingly, sparkly or shiny, but honestly I am in more of a contemplative mode than a celebratory one. The end of the year always makes me evaluate the previous 365 days of my life. (I know, I am such a nerd.)

Last year during my “How’s My Life Going?” checkup, a friend challenged me to think and pray about one word that would summarize my hopes and my focus for the upcoming year. The word that I chose for 2013 was “MORE”, and it was definitely a year of more!

Guatemalan Hospital 2

I traveled MORE, going on an outreach trip to Guatemala, driving to a friend’s out-of-town wedding and attending a business conference.

We experienced MORE change as my son turned 18 and graduated from high school, my two oldest children started their first jobs and we moved in August.

I had MORE speaking engagements (something that I have been wanting to do more of) and gained MORE readers on The Peaceful Mom (thank you!)

Master Bedroom with nightstand--The Peaceful Mom

We gained MORE space as we were able to buy a king size bed, move to a larger rental house and a friend gave us a second car!

We have MORE relationships. We gained new neighbors, new friends through our home school group and joined a new church.

We made MORE money, increasing our income through sales and commissions through my husband’s job, and through book sales and advertising on the blog.

We also had MORE fun as a family, experienced MORE connection with each other and grew MORE spiritually. As I evaluate our year, I am thankful for the increase in so many areas. It truly was a year of MORE.

So now I am thinking and praying about what my word for 2014 will be. Want to join me? I will post in a few days what I come up with and you can share your “Word of the Year” as well.

In the meantime, leave a comment about what kind of year you had in 2013.

Related AD Topics

Comments

1. Svitlana says

Merry Christmas! Happy for you! Nice decor on this pic and your kitchen!

Love your post about screened porch;-0 –
    God bless your beautiful family!

2. Em says

“satisfied” I think will be my word. I want to be satisfied…with myself, my weight, my habits, my level of exercise, my savings account, my job, and most importantly, my time with God, husband and children. I do not feel satisfied now, so it is something I need to work on.

3. Sheila says

I love your blog and especially that you dig deeper and share your thoughts and wisdom. Its obvious how much heart you put into this and Im thankful to have found your blog this year. I didnt know it until last week but God has been preparing us for a job loss. I know we are gonna be fine because God provides. Thank you Kimberlee for allowing God to use you. You are such an inspiration :) Merry Christmas!

• says

Thank you so much for your encouraging words Sheila. They really mean a lot to me.

I am so sorry that you are experiencing a job loss, but you are right – God IS faithful! I pray that this will be a year of unexpected blessings for you and your family.

4. anita says

This past year has been a year of discovery. I discovered the peaceful mom website that gave me hope and inspiration that at my age I can still start home business, I also now have a church home a place to worship and rebuilding my faith. For 2014 to use your word MORE I look forward to taking a blogging class and starting my own blog and growing my business. Thank you for all you do Kimberlee. Keeping the faith Anita :)

5. says

I am not sure how to classify 2013! I have been thinking about it a lot. The year of the toddler? (says this mother of 1…)

I am actually hoping 2014 will be a year of LESS. Less stress. Less possessions. I really want to focus and simplify this coming year!

6. Loyda says

Thank you for sharing this ! I soooo loved the idea I messaged my closest friends and family on FB to see who wanted to join me on this ! I may even make this an event on it. So we can all post from time to time….

Loyda

7. Kimberly Porter says

Everytime I read your blog I am blessed my your words of encouragement. If I had to sum up 2013 it would have to be contentment. I never really understood what it meant until God had to take my family through somethings. There’s nothing wrong with wanting more, but I was focused on wanting more of the wrong things. God really had to get me to focus on what’s really important in life. I’m more grateful than I’ve been in my life. As long as I have food, clothes, shelter, and my family I am blessed.

8. Michelle says

Thank you so much for this blog. 2013 has been a year of learning for me, being the first year if homeschooling. Learning new ways to help my children learn and love learning. I love love the idea of a word of the year and have but it up in our learning room. FOCUS is my word. Focus more on myself, our health as a family, my religion, my family, and our savings account. Have a wonderful New Year.