Mar
2013

My Shopping Totals (3/22) + Tips to Save on Groceries!

Fun Friday Shopping Totals: See how I feed my family of six (including 3 teens) for around $125/week. See our $125 Budget Weekly Menu here

Join me on Twitter or Facebook for daily posts and interaction, or subscribe to my FREE e-newsletter to get posts right in your inbox!

PUBLIX part 1

PUBLIX part 2

Grocery Saving Tip: Base your weekly menu on items you have on hand plus sale items.

Thanks to using lots of food from my pantry and freezer in our menu for this week, I had extra money in the budget that I used to stock up on sale-priced juice.

With the weather getting warmer, my kids will be asking for popsicles, and making them with juice makes them a little healthier. I also make a healthier version of soda, by mixing the cranberry pomegranate juice with seltzer water.

Grocery Saving Tip: When an item is on sale at its lowest price, buy as much as you can afford and use before it expires.

I was also able to stock up a little on this natural dried fruit and nut mix that we will take with us on busy days to avoid the drive through.

PUBLIX--Total Spent $89.37.

WALMART–Spent $38.99.

Grocery Saving Tip: Buy unadvertised sale items when they are at the lowest price for your area.

I found the 10 lb bag of potatoes priced at just $3.00.We will use some potatoes this week and some next week.

Be sure to check in to The Peaceful Mom starting this week for my new series Save Money on Groceries. I will be giving you one practical tip each week that you can implement to start saving immediately.

Weekly Total: $128.36

March Monthly Total: $528.20

($125/week budget for six people, so I am over by $28.20 for the month.)

Need to lower your grocery bill? Read more about how I lower our grocery bill in my Save More-Clip Less e-book.

Related Topics:

Why I Shop At Multiple Stores

What We Do About Snacks

Click here to see previous week’s shopping trips.

This Week’s Menu

Money Saving Ideas

Easy Recipes

Were you able to stick to your budget this week? Leave a comment!

misty March 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Do you have a bountifulbaskets near you? It would save on produce!

Kimberlee March 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Thanks Misty. Several readers have mentioned that, but we don’t have one in our area. :(

Colean March 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm

We have one here but my work schedule doesn’t allow us to use it. One day I hope to though!

mandy March 22, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Great job!

Kimberlee March 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Thanks Mandy! :)

Wendy March 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Instead of the deli meats isn’t it cheaper to roast a chicken and make chicken salad, sliced chicken on tortillas, etc.? Less sodium, preservatives and fat also.

Kimberlee March 22, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Yes it is, but we have chicken a lot and the kids like the variety of having ham and turkey, although they hate it when I cook a whole turkey. It just doesn’t taste the same. :)

samantha March 22, 2013 at 10:05 pm

my boyfriend rolls his eyes when i make chicken, it would be 3 or 4 days we won’t have it but to him it feels like i make it every single night lol. a question that i am sure will help other people is: can i buy a big thing of bread (like the size of garlic bread) in the about to expire section of the store and make home-made subs that day and freeze them, will the bread be okay and for how long?

Kimberlee March 23, 2013 at 9:09 am

Hi Samantha–I don’t have a definitive answer on how long you can freeze it, but I have frozen bread past the expiration date and then used it for french toast within the next two weeks. It might be too chewy for sandwiches.

samantha March 22, 2013 at 10:14 pm

i have a set budget of $134 a week because i receive $539 a month for food stamps and i get wic. i hardly ever pay for milk because i get 7 1/2 gallons and 2 quarts on my wic alone. and 3 grains which is either bread or tortilla shells, which i freeze the shells since we hardly use them or bread. and i also get $16 in fresh fruits and veggies. so all together this helps us out a ton since we only make less than 1,200 a month. and with the 3rd baby coming in early may, we need all the extra savings we can get. i am hoping to make a menu and stick with it and use coupons as much as possible. i just need to not get side tracked by the extra sales unless my family needs it

Elena May 24, 2013 at 4:50 am

For me, it’s healthier to buy teas as leafs, not in teabags, and then I can brew them in a thermos, and even make some nice blends- like black tea I mix with mint/berries of wild rose/ginger root/expensive flavoured teas/fennel/herbs.

Elena May 24, 2013 at 4:53 am

Besides-that’s just what I see at you Walmart purchase, it’s handy to:
dry banana skins and cut/beak them to use as fertilizer for garden plants;
take1 whole orange/tangerine, process in a blender and then make muffin batter with it. Chocolate chips- and the muffins are just perfect!