Jan
2013

Fun Friday Shopping Totals 1/11 {+ Grocery Savings Tips!}

Fun Friday Shopping Totals: See how I feed my family of six (including 3 teens) for around $125/week. See our $125 Budget Weekly Menu here

Join me on Twitter or Facebook for daily posts and interaction, or subscribe to my FREE e-newsletter to get posts right in your inbox!

If you were concerned about my super low total last week, you will be happy to know that I had to make a mid-week run for some essentials. I paid $35.01 for the above groceries from Walmart. That brought last week’s total to $69.00, so I’ve added that to the monthly total below.

WALMART  Part 1

Grocery Saving Tip: Buy meat at it’s lowest price and freeze it for later. I used Walmart’s Ad Match Guarantee to purchase boneless skinless chicken breasts for $.99 a pound which is an insanely low price for our area.

When you find meat or other grocery items at their lowest price for your area, it’s a good idea to buy as much as you can afford for future use. I would have purchased more, but I was over-budget with everything else we needed.

If you find a good deal on chicken, you can use my 8 Dinners in One Hour Plan here to quickly and easily turn that chicken into meals for your family!

WALMART–Total Spent $130.82.

Grocery Saving Tip: Use Walmart’s Ad Match Guarantee. I was not only able to get the chicken for $.99/lb, but I also ad matched:

ground chuck for $2.59/lb

cantaloupe for $.99

8 lbs of California navel oranges for $4.99

milk for $2.59/gallon,

V8 Fusion for $2.00

Lay’s chips for $2.48 a bag. It’s cheaper to buy the Walmart brand of chips, but Lays are our favorite so when they go on sale, I purchase them (and I do not agree that store brand chips taste the same :)).

Weekly Total: $129.46

Monthly Total: $198.46

($125/week budget for six people–So I am over budget for the week, but under budget for the month so far. )

Need to lower your grocery bill?

Read more about how I stick to a $125 a week budget in my Save More-Clip Less e-book.

Related Topics:

Why I Shop At Multiple Stores

What We Do About Snacks

Click here to see previous week’s shopping trips.

This Week’s Menu

Money Saving Ideas

Easy Recipes

How did you do this week? Leave a comment!

Mandy January 11, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Wow! $.99/lb chicken breasts is unheard of these days! Where do those prices come from that Wal-Mart will match? Is there a little independent grocery store in your area, meat market, etc.? I was happy that Publix had chicken breasts for $1.99/lb. Great shopping.

Kimberlee January 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Yes, we have a couple of local grocery stores that are really expensive, but have great sale items. Most of the produce matches came from Aldi’s. I noticed that price at Publix this week too and thought that was a great sale price for them. I don’t remember seeing it below $2.59 at Publix in my area. Have a great week!

Cassie January 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm

What store had chicken for 99 cents/lb??

Kimberlee January 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm

A local hispanic grocery store.

Kylee L January 11, 2013 at 5:11 pm

How do you like the chicken from your local ethnic store? We have one a few blocks from here but I have always had concern about quality..

Kimberlee January 11, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I have never had any concerns with this particular store. Everything is fresh, but you should always check.

Jennifer brown January 11, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Save a lot here in FL had the boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.59, which is my buy a bunch and stock up price:)

Rachel January 11, 2013 at 7:03 pm

wow! I am jealous of these savings. I think it is awesome you are saving this amount! And you said you are a family of six! I am a family of four, but if you count my dog and cat, I guess that makes it six lol. I am a ‘coupon newbie’, so I am budgeting (I have to because of my kids activities AND the cost of gas :( ).
dumb question, but how long can you freeze meat? I usually buy mine the day I am going to cook them because I forget to thaw them and when I thaw, it takes 2 days. grrr.

Kimberlee January 11, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I have read that you can freeze it for up to 3 months as long as it is in an airtight container.

Kerry January 11, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for your inspiration..while I still havent set up my freedom account (still need to wrap my head around it…), I am back to budgeting and taking cash out for the envelope system. Just took the money out of my account for the month today and honestly, I feel such a sigh of relief already.. Thank you!!

Kimberlee January 12, 2013 at 5:46 am

We just reinstated the cash envelope system for more of our budget categories and it is very freeing. We know exactly where we stand and we can meet our financial goals more easily because we are living them daily.

Courtney January 11, 2013 at 7:50 pm

In FL, chicken was $1.99/lb at Publix. I thought that was good, but $.99 is great! I will definitely do more research to ad match next time.

Lauren January 12, 2013 at 6:49 pm

This may be too personal of a question so that is ok if you can’t answer, but I’ll give it a shot! Do you use your Perkstreet MC at Walmart for grocery shopping? I am thinking of opening that account, but don’t know if I should use that and get the “perks” or get out the cash…

Kimberlee January 12, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I did use the card for groceries previously, but I found that I stick to the budget better when I use cash. We use it primarily to pay bills or for things like car repairs.

Dani January 14, 2013 at 8:17 am

Hi Peaceful Mom,
When you do your weekly shopping does it only include food items? If so, how much do you allot for toiletries each month? I’m always amazed when I hear people say I only spend 300.00 a month for a family of 4 to 6 and I no one goes into details of what that 300.00 really covers. I would appreciate your response. Thanks

Kimberlee January 14, 2013 at 8:51 am

My grocery budget is for food only. I budget $50 a month for toiletry and nonfood items like toilet paper (all of which I try to purchase on sale), but sometimes I spend more.