Jan
2013

Fun Friday Shopping Totals 1/4 {+ Grocery Saving Tips}

Fun Friday Shopping Totals: See how I feed my family of six (including 3 teens) for around $125/week. See our $125 Budget Weekly Menu here

Join me on Twitter or Facebook for daily posts and interaction, or subscribe to my FREE e-newsletter to get posts right in your inbox!

PRODUCE MARKET--Spent $34.00.

Grocery Saving Tip: Check local produce stands and ethnic markets. They often have much lower prices on certain items than chain stores. I was able to get boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.69/lb, the roast for $3.29/lb, 10 lb bag of potatoes for $2.99, cantaloupe for $.99, pineapples for $1.99 and more!

This is an unusual week. We have lots of food in the freezer and pantry from previous weeks, and a friend gave us two small hams, 3 bags of salad, 8 yogurt cups, 3 containers of hummus, 2 containers of beef broth, some cereal and some cranberries. I may go to the store to pick up some milk and cheese (which I will add to next week’s total), but so far we don’t need anything else.

By planning our meals around what we already have, I am saving lots of money this week.

Weekly Total: $34.00

January Monthly Total: $34.00

($125/week budget for six people)

Need to lower your grocery bill?
Read more about how I stick to a $125 a week
budget in my Save More-Clip Less e-book.

Related Topics:

Why I Shop At Multiple Stores

What We Do About Snacks

Click here to see previous week’s shopping trips.

This Week’s Menu

Money Saving Ideas

Easy Recipes

Did you find any good sales this week? Leave a comment!

Christina @ The Scrappy Housewife January 4, 2013 at 11:28 am

It’s so nice that your produce market sells meat. We have a farmer’s market (actually sitting ON the farm) that sells produce, cheese, baked goods and canned (jarred) goods, but no meat. And I’d believe your total because I shop in a similar way (coupons work for me, but I can save at least 30 – 40% just walking in the door PRIOR to using coupons). :) I also plan our meals around what we have and not what we need to buy.

Kimberlee January 4, 2013 at 11:36 am

It’s good to be believed–LOL! :)

karen b January 4, 2013 at 11:36 am

this is awesome!!!!!!!!! I wish we had a produce market or equalvant around here:) I’m hoping to stay pretty low this week also, usually shop either fri or sat.

Crystal January 4, 2013 at 11:43 am

This is how we plan on keeping our budget at $50 a week. The help of WIC is nice too. I did learn that couponing isn’t going to happen as often, for the most part, even after coupons, the items are cheaper at Aldi.

Julie C January 4, 2013 at 4:17 pm

The produce market I go to has a lot of good stuff on sale that I like to cook with this week… red bell peppers, broccoli, cabbage, onions, so I’m pretty happy about that, I planned all my meals to use these ingredients. I also got REALLY excited when I looked up their ad online Tuesday night and it had boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.57 a pound, which is pretty unheard of around here. But then I was disappointed to look at the ad again on Wednesday and they changed it to say $2.99/lb :( I guess it was a typo. My supermarket has them for $1.99 this week though so it’s not a total lost cause.

I saved some money last month because we were out of town for a week, but now I have a Costco trip planned on Saturday so all that savings will probably be used up pretty quick there. After this week I should be pretty well stocked though!

Kimberlee January 4, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I would be super excited about $1.57/lb chicken breasts too–too bad!