Oct

Fun Friday Shopping Totals + Savings Tips! 10/3

Fun Friday Shopping Totals: See how I feed my family of six (including 3 teens) for around $125/week. See our $125 Budget Weekly Menu here

_______________________________________________________

Join me on Twitter or Facebook for daily posts and interaction, or subscribe to my FREE e-newsletter to get posts right in your inbox!
_______________________________________________________

Need to lower your grocery bill? Read more about how I stick to a $125 a week budget in my FREE e-book Save More-Clip Less.

SAVE A LOT–Spent $42.06.

Savings Tip: Shop at a low price store like Aldi’s or Save Alot for staples.

WALMART–Spent $25.98.

Price Matches:

Lays Potato Chips $1.34/bag

Arnold Bread $1.49/loaf

Apples $.99/lb

WINN DIXIE–Spent $49.77.

I found lots of meat deals which is great because the freezer was empty. This meat will last us at least 3 weeks and maybe the entire month.

Highlights:

cucumbers $.50 each

country style ribs $1.87/lb

ground chuck $1.98/lb

whole chickens $.89/lb

boneless chuck roast $2.00/lb

Savings Tip: Buy meat only when you can find it at the lowest price in your area. Buy as much as you can afford and freeze it for later. (Read more here.)

Weekly Total: $117.81

October Monthly Total: $117.81

($125/week budget for six people)

Related Topics:

Why I Shop At Multiple Stores

What We Do About Snacks

Click here to see previous week’s shopping trips.

This Week's Menu

Money Saving Ideas

Easy Recipes

How did you do this week? Leave a comment!

Alyssa October 5, 2012 at 11:09 am

If you are under budget, where do you put the money?? In savings? For next week groceries? Splurge on take out pizza? Even if it is a few dollars a week, that adds up!

Kimberlee October 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

You are right Alyssa–the dollars do add up. It depends on the week. Sometimes I will spend less on purpose so that we can order pizza. Sometimes I save it in the grocery envelope and sometimes I use it to buy non-food items we need.

Tanya October 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I love your meat tip! I do the same thing, only in smaller quantities since there are only three of us. :) I found some great deals at Ingles on some of my son’s favorite cookies this week, so I stocked up on those too! http://theeconomicalhomemaker.com/my-ingles-trip-for-the-beech-nut-cookies/

jill October 5, 2012 at 2:31 pm

why not coupon?i never spend more than $100 a week and my freezer and pantry stay full.i only get a few snacks & fun weekend foods then the rest is healthy weekday foods.this includes everything we use including paper products & toiletries.i buy lots of fruits & veggies too.some weeks i only buy bread & milk because we are so well stocked!i have a family of 4 includuding 2 teen boys with lots of hungry friends!

Kimberlee October 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hi Jill- You can read more in my free ebook Save More Clip Less here, but I was a hoarding extreme couponer a few years ago and I choose not to go down that road again. In my experience, to make couponing work really well you have to spend time and pay for or have access to coupons. I have much more peace now that I don’t participate in couponing, but I know it works well for many people.

Amie October 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm

My local Save-A-Lot went out of business earlier this year. I really miss it. I had avoided it for several years because the building looked run down on the outside, but when I finally saw a sale’s flyer, I couldn’t believe the prices. Once I shopped there, I was hooked. I wish one would come back. Do you use their $5 off $25 coupons? I still get emails indicating that promotion comes around quite regularly.

Kimberlee October 5, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Yes, I have used the $5 coupons a few times. I love saving money. :)

Barbara October 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Hi Friends! This week total is also my monthly totals. I budgeted $350 for the month. i have my sister as a guest for this week and then I don’t shop again until around Nov 6th. Unless we need 1/2 & 1/2. The $$ amnt also includes most of my sundries. We are only two, plus the DOG (who gets well fed!!haha!) Following along with Kinberlee has helped two months in a row now. I was NERVOUS about this shopping trip, but, even with my talkative sister in tow I was able to concentrate and avoid all those “just throw it in the basket” pit falls. Using cash is the big clincher. NO ONE wants to put stuff back! And I kept a running total on a note book and calculator. I got out of Costco for under $80! What!? Heh heh, well, gang, I have $16 bucks of cash left and $50 bucks in the budget (in the checking account)! Lots of food and a planned menu to follow, I never get worries I don’t have something for lunch or dinner now. Thanks everyone And Kimberlee for making this easier every month (oh, and my shopping also got us a frozen Schwann’s pizza for that splurge along with a pumpkin pie.. not a bad trick there Mr. budget! Good boy, now staaay, staay….)

Kimberlee October 8, 2012 at 11:53 am