Aug

Get Organized: Do A Brain Dump

Want to be more organized, creative and in touch with your emotions? Start your day with a “brain dump”.

I first saw this concept in an article about journaling your life and decided to try it myself. The basic idea is to write down whatever comes to mind the very first thing in the morning before you do anything else (no coffee, email, talking to anyone else beforehand). It even helps to journal in dim lighting to avoid fully waking up.

When you are writing, don’t worry about grammar or even making sense, just write what comes to mind as it comes to mind. (This is called “stream of consciousness” writing.) I like to make a column on the right side of the page to list things that need to be done, then in the center of the page I write my dreams from the night before, ideas that I have or things that I am concerned about and want to pray through.

Whatever is on my mind gets written on that paper.

As I have committed to doing a “brain dump” on a regular basis, I have discovered a couple of things:

• My most creative ideas come during this time;
  • I am much more in touch with my feelings, concerns and anxieties and I can address them rather than letting them “stew” beneath the surface.

Once I feel that I have “dumped” everything, I make a plan for my day by listing tasks by priority. (You can take a look at my Weekly Plans here and all of my FREE Printable Planners here to help with this.)

I have found that I am much more creative and productive on the days that I use this organizational method, and I actually miss it when I fail to do it first thing. If you decide to start doing a daily “brain dump”, let me know how it goes for you.

Time Tips

The 3 Principles of Organization

Back to School Ideas and Fun!

Kylee August 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm

This is great. I write my prayers rather than speak them, I am incredibly “jumbled” when I try to verbally pray, and I’ve found that writing them enables full concentration. I carry my prayer journal everywhere so I can jot names of those who need prayer, it makes it easier to say “I will pray for you..” because I know I will!! It’s also nice to look back and see the prayers that were answered and the ones I now see as God’s way of showing love through saying “no” to what I ask for.

Kimberlee August 20, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Great idea Kylee–thanks so much for sharing. :)

Paulette January 9, 2013 at 5:54 am

I too have been kinda doing this for years by way of a prayer journal, but love the name Brain Dump, cus that’s what I feel like I am doing alot of mornings. I currently keep my journal on my computer in OneNote, that way when I want to find an older though, all I have to do is type in a key word into the search box to help me locate it.

Beverly January 15, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Love this idea.

Dana August 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Wow, what a phenomenal idea. My husband says (and I quite agree) that he can get a better idea of what’s going on in my heart by reading my blog than by talking with me a lot of the time…. This is because it’s so much easier for me to articulate my thoughts and emotions via writing…. Never thought about doing it first thing in the morning, but I’m definitely going to try it!! Starting tomorrow. Excited about this. I think I’m going to try to do it for a week and then blog my discoveries… :) Thanks for posting this!!

Kimberlee August 20, 2012 at 11:38 pm

You are very welcome Dana–I’d love to hear how it goes. :)

Bert August 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm

This is a wonderful plan, I have been unwittingly doing something similar for a long time. Carrying the prayer journal is a great idea, I never thought of that. It is interesting to look back through to see how things have worked out. Always appreciate your posts.

Dianna August 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

This is a great idea. I never really thought about it, but I try to write things that I need to do down when I get up or I will forget them.
Great post Kimberlee!

Kimberlee August 21, 2012 at 9:58 am

Thanks Dianna!

Kim August 26, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Oh my.. I like this and I am going to try and start doing this soon.. Thanks for the post..

Karolee September 19, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Great idea–I realize I have been doing this, except it’s in the shower and so it all gets lost by the time I am out and dressed and 6,000 children have hit me with their neediness in 60 seconds or less. (ok, only 6 children.) I think I”ll try it on paper BEFORE the shower. :)

Kimberlee September 19, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Hahaha! Yes, try it before or find some crayons to write on the wall of the shower. :)

Karolee September 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

I forgot. :P

Kimberlee September 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

hahaha!

Paulette January 9, 2013 at 5:47 am

Like you, I come up with some of my best ideas in the shower, so I try to remember to take my little voice recorder with me to the bathroom. I have a small dresser next to my shower, so I set it on that & when an idea hits me, I reach for my little recorder (being careful not to get it wet). voila – thought captured!

Kristy October 3, 2012 at 9:36 am

I’m trying to do this again, too. I’d like to put my prayers down on paper as well as do the “brain dump,” but I have yet to see if that works out in practice. I love how you make a column on the right for “to-dos.” When I did this in the past, I found it could get all filled up with things I was remembering to do for the day. If I quickly write those off to one side, I can continue dumping everything else on the other side. :)

Kimberlee October 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

Glad you like the idea Kristy. I have to think in “categories” to keep things straight. :)

Eva May 29, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Kimberlee, is your “brain dump” done in a journal or on paper that is thrown away. I’ve debated about which way to go. Thanks!

Kimberlee May 29, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Hi Eva! I keep everything in a notebook so I can go back and refer to it. I am now using Evernote as well to capture ideas from my notebook that are more long term. Hope that helps. :)

Nancy June 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I’ve been doing this the last few days, what a help!
I keep a journal so it’s my first entry of the day.

Kimberlee June 9, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Thanks for letting me know Nancy. It’s an absolute must for me now.

Maria September 10, 2013 at 12:59 am

This idea is quite exciting & definitely going to do it . But before coffee – just can’t see that part of it happening !!

Kimberlee September 10, 2013 at 11:37 am

Haha! Whatever works best for you Maria. :)