Jul

Take Ten: Epic Fail!

Take TenTM-Improve your life ten minutes at a time!

“The key to success whether you are trying to lose weight, break a bad habit or save money on your grocery bill is to consistently apply small changes over time.”

p. 27  Save More, Clip Less

One way I incorporate this principle of small changes over time is to choose a weekly project to work on ten minutes a day. Knowing it’s only ten minutes helps me to get started–even if the project seems overwhelming at first. Working on the goal daily helps me to develop discipline (hate the word, love the effects!).

It’s official: I have a mental block against organizing my digital photos on my computer (read about my method here). This is now the third week (not consecutive) that I have made it a “priority” to get these photos done, and the third epic failure. I’m not sure why, but I just don’t want to start this project.

I don’t like putting pressure on myself, but I am going to risk public humiliation and make the photo job my Take TenTM project for one more week. if I can’t make some progress in the next seven days, I may have to give up. :)

Would you like to join me in a ten minute a day project this week?

Choose an area you want to change or a project you have procrastinated on starting. When you decide what your Take TenTM project will be, you can leave a comment on this post to let us know what you’re planning–the more the merrier!

You May Also Like:

Change Your Life in 10 Minutes

Past Take Ten Posts

Printable Planners

Libby July 16, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I need to take ten and read my scriptures daily. I have gotten out of the habit recently and if I don’t plan it, it seems to be the thing that I cut out of my day.

Janelle July 16, 2012 at 3:44 pm

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Break it down even smaller if 10 minutes is too much or don’t set a time limit. Maybe you could break it down by tasks (For the first day maybe just create folders to organize the pictures in. The second day organize one month’s worth of pictures into the folders. The third day another month).

You will feel great even just making a little bit of progress.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Kimberlee July 16, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Janelle!

Paula July 16, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Ugg…i hear you :) My challenge is organizing 30 years of printed photos that I had to remove from the “Old Style” adhesive books because they were fading. Do you think i should just separate them into boxes for my kids and let them figure it out when I’m gone? ;)

Alyssa July 16, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Make it a family Take Ten and spend time with them separating the pictures. Good way to get extra hands on the project and also remember great times!

Tessa July 16, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I am also behind on my scripture readings but I am thinking I’ll “take ten” to sew up my unused fabric. We’re moving in a couple months and it would be nice to sell any extra product I can before hand because the house we’re moving into is even smaller than our current one! Plus the $$ made from selling bibs and such will go a long way to helping us pay for ripping out the almost WHITE CARPET in the dining room. Not cool when you have little ones! Bonus: I can listen to scripture while I sew!

Alyssa July 16, 2012 at 9:02 pm

What a great idea! I have a small immediate list of “Take Ten’s” I can think of right now. My basement office will have to be my first challenge. I choose this because I KNOW it will snowball into more “take ten’s”. My Photo and Music libraries will be last… I have had those on my list for years. I just don’t know how to begin.

Maya July 17, 2012 at 5:42 pm

So sad to hear. I read your method of organizing and here would be my tip for you to get back on track. If you are sitting with a huge folder of digital photos the easiest way to sort them is by date. Then you can very easily just grab one month (or week) at a time to file away. I know you said you like to file your photos by event and not by date but it might help if you started by sorting them into folders by month. Once you have it broken down into the months you can go into each folder and break them down further by event if you want (then get rid of the month folder all together one they are all in individual folders). I find that dividing something into smaller chunks just make things seem more manageable. Even if you only get to the point of splitting them by month (or week) you will at least have accomplished something this week! Good Luck!

Kimberlee July 17, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Thanks for the tip Maya. I did work on them yesterday and plan to do more tonight. I’ve at least broken through the procrastination barrier. :)

Tara D'Arcy July 17, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I just sat down today and made a list of improvements and additions for my Etsy shop and my facebook page (www.facebook.com/taradarcydesigns). Now, when I have 5 or 10 minutes, I can look at the list and choose an item to work on. I’ve already completed several of the items I jotted down this morning. Having something in mind to work on keeps me from wasting time trying to figure out how to spend my little bits of free time.
Now, maybe I should make a list of quick household chores so they’re more likely to get done, too. :-)