Packing Tips: How To Pack 5 Days Of Clothes In One Carry-On Bag

Affiliate Link Disclosure B

This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Atlantic Luggage. All opinions are 100% mine.

How To Pack for 5 Days in One Carry On Bag - The Peaceful Mom

pinit

Packing Tips: See how I pack 5 days of clothes in one carry-on bag!

Atlantic Luggage sent me this great carry-on bag and asked me to pack as much as I can for our upcoming trip to visit family. This little bag has great features:

*It weighs only 6.5 pounds (which means I can pack more for airline flights before reaching the 50 lb limit!).

*It has a retractable handle and wheels so I don’t have to carry all 50 pounds of stuff.

*It has additional handles (with a velcro closure) so that I can use it as a duffle bag if I want.

*It has multiple zipper compartments so I can easily find things like my cell phone or laptop charger.

So let’s get started with the packing tips:

Start with your shoes in the bottom of the suitcase (you can place them in plastic shopping bags or zipper bags if you wish).

Roll socks, hose and other undergarments and tuck inside your shoes. I always take a pair of cheap flip flops to use in the bathroom and shower if we are staying in a hotel. They’re also great for going to the pool.

The bag that Atlantic Luggage sent me has a dividing flap that you can fold over to separate your shoes from your other clothing.

Fold your slacks in half (one leg over the other) and roll them from the legs up.

Place rolled jeans and slacks on top of your shoes.

Fold t-shirts into thirds before rolling up.

Roll and pack t-shirts and knit tops.

Next pack your jewelry roll and toiletry bag. (Click here for tips on packing jewelry.)

If you’re flying remember the 3-1-1 rule: All liquids must be in 3 ounce or less containers, and all liquids and gels must fit inside one quart size zipper bag. I keep my quart zipper bag in the outside zipper pocket of my carry on bag so it’s easy to remove during the security screening.

Fold dress shirts into thirds and pack on top.

All packed and ready to go!

Pack 5 Days in 1 Bag - Tips from The Peaceful Mom

{Click to PIN this post!}

How to Pack Jewelry

How to Pack Jewelry

10 Ideas for Roadtrips w/ Kids

Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half!

Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half!

Related AD Topics

Comments

1. KL says

How well would this work for winter clothes? I am trying to get 4 days worth of clothing (about 8 outfits when you consider layers) I am going to Northern Manitoba in November!! Any tips would be great, as I am from Florida, and winter is already so foreign to me.

• says

I like layering thinner pieces of clothing when I am going to a colder climate. I pack a pair (or two) of long johns to wear under my clothing if it will be very cold. Definitely pack a warm scarf and gloves as well!

2. Kitty says

I just wanted to say thanks for this useful post. Whenever I go on trips with groups of people, they all bring these little sports bags while I’ve got my stuff in a big, rigid suitcase that takes up as much room as two other people’s luggage. Today I’m packing for another such trip, and believe me, I need all the help I can get to keep my stuff in a smaller space! Thanks a bunch! :)

3. Maya says

Best recommendation I ever got for packing a suitcase: pack everything ziplock bags! Use big ones for t-shirts and pants and small ones for underwear and socks. Two GREAT advantages. You can get all the extra air out before you seal them (I sit on them as I seal them), taking so much of the bulk out. Second it makes living out a suitcase so much easier. Looking for a pair of socks, just pull out the socks bag, and you don’t need to worry about messing up your t-shirts their bag can just be tossed aside and put back in when done.

The only downside: watch the weight of your bag, with everything so compact you can fit a lot more weight in a suitcase.

4. says

The ziplock bag thing for packing is great, but because of all the plastic, your bag will be opened up and checked more often then you would like because of the plastic, and that’s a pain in itself because the airlines while checking your bag, they don’t put the stuff back as neatly as you had it in the beginning. I stopped using the zip locks for that reason. But they were amazing at packing up!

5. Debi H says

I looked on the Atlantic Luggage website for that exact wheeled carryon and couldn’t find it. Do you have a link to the one they sent you? I’d love to get one! Thanks!

6. Irene says

Some helpful ideas but be aware that most airlines only allow anywhere from 15 to 25 pounds weight limit for carry-ons. This severely limits what you can take in a carry-on. A few stateside airlines allow 40 pounds but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I find that more and more airlines are weighing my hand luggage. The 50 pound weight limit is for checked baggage not carry-on.

• says

Thanks Irene. Yes, the 50 pound weight limit is for checked luggage but I have never had an airline weigh my carry on bag. I have had them measure the dimensions though and ended up checking a bag before I learned to pack more efficiently. It is a good thing to keep the weight of your bag in mind though.

7. Irene says

• says

8. Rosemary David says

Do not put too much things on your hand carry bag. Only passports and some important documents and some travel essentials are in your hand carry bag. But in your luggage Bring only things that you will need, if you will be away for about 5 days bring only things that you need for 5 days and some extras. Do not bring too much clothes and other things as if your about to stay there for good.