Jun

Take Ten: Recovery Mode

Take TenTM-Improve your life ten minutes at a time!

“The key to success whether you are trying to lose weight, break a bad habit or save money on your grocery bill is to consistently apply small changes over time.”

p. 27  Save More, Clip Less

One way I incorporate this principle of small changes over time is to choose a weekly project to work on ten minutes a day. Knowing it’s only ten minutes helps me to get started–even if the project seems overwhelming at first. Working on the goal daily helps me to develop discipline (hate the word, love the effects!).

As you may have read in my Save Money On The Go Series last week, I had a really busy week. I woke up at 5:30 every day, got ready, did some blogging, fed my daughters breakfast, made lunches and hit the road by 7:15 to drop off my two oldest daughters at one day camp. I then drove 45 minutes to take my youngest daughter to horse camp, which someone graciously provided for us.

My youngest and I returned home at 2:00 p.m. every day when I did a little more work, washed a load of laundry and got a head start on dinner. At 4:45 I took my youngest daughter to pick up the older two and drove them to Vacation Bible School. I returned home to have dinner with my husband and son, run errands or finish laundry and then I drove to pick up the girls at 8:30 p.m.

Needless to say, it was exhausting. I am so glad that normal life is not that crazy, because the housework definitely got pushed to the back burner.

So this week I’ll be spending ten minutes a day cleaning up all of the piles of clutter we left last week. I am sure that ten minutes a day won’t get it all done, but I can at least get started.

Would you like to join me in a ten minute a day project this week?

Choose an area you want to change or a project you have procrastinated on starting. When you decide what your Take TenTM project will be, you can leave a comment on this post to let us know what you’re planning–the more the merrier!

You May Also Like:

Change Your Life in 10 Minutes

Past Take Ten Posts

Life Lessons from Horse Camp

Tiffany Nicole June 25, 2012 at 11:40 am

I am going to work on fixing one of my favorite shirts. It has flowers all along the top which have slowly started to come off. A sewing machine is not an option for these delicate little things so hand sewing is the only way. Your blog has given me the motivation to work on it for ten minutes everyday and I should have it fixed up by the end of the week! Sort of excited now! Thanks =)

Kimberlee June 25, 2012 at 11:46 am

That’s great! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Ana June 25, 2012 at 11:50 am

I am going to work on my knitted scarf project for 10 min each day this week. Thanks for posting this!

Kimberlee June 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

You are very welcome Ana!

Jane June 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’m going to work on de-junking my little boy’s closet and organizing it.
fieldguidesandfairytales.blogspot.com

Angee June 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I love your site! I can’t thank enough for it! My task is going to be to clean out my hallway closet. Organize a little each day, and toss things we don’t need.

Kimberlee June 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Thanks Angee. :)

Mida June 25, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I will be working on my menu planning for next week. This is a new concept for me. Normally its, whats in the pantry to go on the table tonight.

Kimberlee June 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Good for you Mida!

Lindsey June 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm

The past two weeks, I ran two Scouting day camps *and* came down with pneumonia. I feel completely overwhelmed with my house right now, given the fact that I’m still sick and stuff just keeps piling up. I want to tackle it all *right now* but I know that will only put me in the bed for another week, so I’m going to take your approach and chip away at it ten minutes at a time. Thanks for your timely post!

Kimberlee June 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm

And make sure to get lots of rest! :)

teresa June 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Hi, I am going to sort through boxes of “stuff” that has taken up most of my home office. It excites me to think that all those needless papers will be gone! Thank you!

Kelly June 26, 2012 at 1:27 am

Your blog has inspired me to take control of my finances and stop hiding! 10 minutes a day looking at my finances, managing them in Mint.com. No more ignoring my bank and credit card balances. I even put a reminder in my calendar so a reminder goes off to do this. This is the year I take control and finally learn how to live within my means. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kimberlee June 26, 2012 at 4:23 am

Way to go Kelly!

Lesa June 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

Your site has been such an inspiration & help to me. I am so happy I happened upon it! We have recently gone from a two income family to a one income family, I was terrified & nervous to face the task ahead but with your tips & advice I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. I truly feel this is a blessing & not the end of the world! Thank you!!!
I am going to tackle the closets in my house, one at a time, using your 10 mins a day approach.

Kimberlee June 26, 2012 at 10:05 am

I am so glad that you are finding the site helpful Lesa! Blessings!

Jennifer June 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I’m going to take ownership of my rental house and really set things up the way I want them to be. 10 minutes a day this week on the living room!

Tanya June 26, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I’m going to try to get out of bed 15 minutes earlier to start a devotional journal and complete devotions each day.

Bella June 26, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I wish there was a like button on here! Everyones replies to your post were added motivation. I’m going to take one room of my house on every week. 10 minutes a day starting with our spare room/junk room/toy room!! 10 minutes starting now :D

Frannie pants June 28, 2012 at 7:19 am

I love this idea and forget to do this. I use to try and use this concept to get myself to stretch and do yoga more. I never thought about how it could help me tackle the things I avoid like the large piles of paper work I dread. I am going to spend 10 mins everyday working on those piles and trying to keep my office organized. Love it! Thanks!!

Kimberlee June 28, 2012 at 7:27 am

You are very welcome! I hate the paperwork piles too. :(

amy June 28, 2012 at 10:49 am

Tackling my room and son’s closet ten minutes at a time. Also doing some redecorating. Hate to iron, but getting the new curtains up ironing ten minutes at a time!

Evelyn June 29, 2012 at 9:39 am

I am going to Take Ten and work on my sewing stash and projects. Not sewing, organizing them. They are all over my very small office, which is also my sewing room. No closet there, but I do have a hall closet that is my sewing closet (among other things). I live in a mobile home, so not much storage.

Here I go with my Take Ten!

Marrona July 1, 2012 at 10:43 am

Hello! I consider my self to be born unorganized and unable to be fixed. I feel like I have tried everything and I have failed at everything, but your ideas give me a pinch of hope, so today I will spend time cleaning of my daughter’s dresser tops and closets

Kimberlee July 1, 2012 at 10:48 am

You made me laugh Marrona! I was actually born unorganized too, but slowly I have been able to recover. :)

Evelyn July 7, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I am starting late as usual, but I did my Take Ten on a lass case I have been staring at for months that was very cluttered. I got the whole thing done in my Take Ten. I am going to tackle a area at a time and get it all done eventually.

I freelance write and it helps to take those ten minute breaks. It gets work done and frees my mind so I am fresh for more writing.

Thanks for the boost.

Kimberlee July 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm

So glad I could be helpful. :)