May

Purposeful Parenting: Praying–for real!

I know I should, but I don’t. As a Christian parent, it should be a priority to pray for my children, but sometimes I forget.

Things got bad this week: the intersection of hormones, sickness and sensory issues resulted in a tornado of bad behavior for one of my children. I was at the end of my rope. I told my husband,”I just can’t do it any more.”

Then I prayed. What should have been my first response, was my last resort.

But God doesn’t punish me for my lack of faithfulness– He just swoops in and changes things. My child calmed down and we enjoyed a lovely picnic in the park complete with amazing conversation about things that I didn’t realize were going on.

“God, please help me to remember to pray first. Things will go much better!”

Parenting Posts

More Kid-Friendly Fun

Natural Antidepressant List

BethAnn Sanders May 10, 2012 at 8:42 am

Thank you for this post! I have a 13 year old daughter that has had a really bad, emotional week. I am the type of person that tries to look at everyone’s perspectives and not say “my child wouldn’t do/say that”. I see what she needs to change but telling her without hurting her feelings is difficult. I know that praying ALWAYS helps but sometimes is really hard to do that. Thanks for the reminder! I hope your prayers get answered.

Kimberlee May 10, 2012 at 8:45 am

Thanks BethAnn. He is faithful!

Stephanie May 10, 2012 at 8:43 am

I hear ya sister! Have had some of those days! God is so good! I’m so thankful to have a God whose love for me isn’t based on what I do right or wrong. Nothing can separate us from His love! :) Rom. 8:39

Kimberlee May 10, 2012 at 8:45 am

Thanks for that verse Stephanie–great reminder.

Mandy May 10, 2012 at 9:10 am

Great timing on that post. Went through a similar meltdown yesterday afternoon w/my 8 year old. A perfect reminder of how we should handle things.

Jenny May 10, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thank you for the post! I love your site because you really do “keep it real”.
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
2 Corinthians 12:9

Lisa May 10, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thanks for the reminder. My daughter is having one of her “I can’t remember anything! I can’t do schoolwork!” days and I almost lost my temper, but instead I sat there and looked out the window and prayed for patience. I stayed calm outwardly even though inwardly I just wanted to scream at her.

Kimberlee May 10, 2012 at 11:04 am

Way to go Lisa! It’s so hard to do that sometimes.

Kristie May 10, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thank you SO much for sharing your heart today. Im a mom of 5 little ones and I have really been struggling. I havent even prayed one second about all the MAJOR issues we have been having. God is SO amazing that He is always there. Dear Jesus touch these mommys hearts on this blog. May we be reminded that you never promised that we wouldnt have to much too bear but that You promised to be right there to lead is and guide us if we cast our burdens on You.

Kimberlee May 10, 2012 at 11:05 am

Thanks for the prayer Kristie. :)

Erica May 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thank you for being honest and sharing. I find it a hard thing to admit that I am the same. My last response should be the first.

Emily May 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thank you for this sweet post. I would like permission to share it with some other Christian ladies that I teach on Sunday. I think this little post will help many.

Emily Park
or I am on facebook…Thanks

Kimberlee May 10, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Sure you can share it Emily. If you are using it in print, I would appreciate your providing a link back or giving credit to ThePeacefulMom.com, but I would be happy for you to use it. You can also click the buttons at the bottom of the post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, etc..

Danielle May 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for all you’re doing with your blog. It’s so wonderful to see someone not only getting by with less but THRIVING with less! Maintaining a good Christian attitude is very difficult at times but I think you are doing a better job than a lot of the parents out there. Kudos to you!

Kimberlee May 10, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Thank you so much Danielle. It’s good to get encouragement. :)

Chellie May 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I don’t know how (yea, I do, it’s God Almighty :) ), but you always seem to write something about what I need to read. I have twin five year olds, and a seven year old that we pulled out of school about a month ago. Today was one of those days when the twins really didn’t want “to do school.” I got several “You’re so mean!” and “I don’t like you anymore, Momma!” Thanks for reminding me, I just need to hit my knees, and He will work it out.
P.S. They both climbed into my lap a little while ago and we read a book together, with lots of kisses. All better now :)

Kimberlee May 10, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I am so glad that you were encouraged Chellie, and even more glad that you got snuggles. :)

sarah May 10, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Thank you for sharing. It’s wonderful to hear about God working in lives of other believers. How merciful, gracious, and loving is our King!
Romans 5:3-5