Apr

Take Ten!

Take TenTM-Improve your life ten minutes at a time!

“The key to success whether you are trying to lose weight, break a bad habit or save money on your grocery bill is to consistently apply small changes over time.”

p. 27  Save More, Clip Less

One way I incorporate this principle of small changes over time is to choose a weekly project to work on ten minutes a day. Knowing it’s only ten minutes helps me to get started–even if the project seems overwhelming at first. Working on the goal daily helps me to develop discipline (hate the word, love the effects!).

This week I’ll be spending ten minutes a day unpacking boxes (yay!). As you may have read previously, we moved last week and I am still trying to get everything unpacked and organized. It can be overwhelming at times, but by focusing on one part of the project for just ten minutes, I overcome my tendency toward procrastination.

I at least got the kitchen in some kind of order thanks to these great bookshelves.

Would you like to join me in a ten minute a day project this week? Choose an area you want to change or a project you have procrastinated on starting.

When you decide what your Take TenTM project will be, you can leave a comment on this post to let us know what you’re planning–the more the merrier!

You May Also Like:

Change Your Life in 10 Minutes

Past Take Ten Posts

Printable Planners

Renee April 22, 2012 at 6:05 pm

First of all…I think you are completely awesome!! I am a HUGE baby stepper in all facets of my life. Love your blog!!

My “project” may seem a bit bizarre…but I need to finalize some legal papers that i have been sitting on for sometime. So…starting TODAY…I’m going to commit to 10 mins a day completing this. I will be so grateful for the peace I’m going to experience when all is said and done!

Kimberlee April 22, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Thanks Renee. I think that’s a perfect Take Ten project. :)

Denice April 22, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Well, I think I can manage 10 minutes per day. We moved 14 months ago and still all my boxes are not unpacked. Lots of good reasons why including a long term shoulder injury and… well, it doesn’t matter why I haven’t finished. Monday, tomorrow, I will start again at 10 minutes at a time. Thanks for the encouragement.

Kimberlee April 22, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Sorry about your shoulder injury Denice, but just do what you can do. :)

Karen April 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I commit to “taking ten” this week and planning my menus and pre-making things before going off to work instead of scrambling to make dinner each evening!

Kimberlee April 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm

You are going to love yourself about 6:00 in the evening! :)

Christina Lewis April 22, 2012 at 6:51 pm

My take ten challenge this week will be to un-pack and organize my bedroom. I dread going to bed at night because it is a mess from our move 2 months ago.

Maria April 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Thanks for the inspiration! This week’s project is painting the guest/craft room. If I get it done, I can get some new curtains this weekend!

Monica@CupcakesandCandles April 22, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I will commit 10 minutes a day to re-organizing my closet. Thanks for the encouragement. 10 minutes at a time shouldn’t be so bad. It may take a while to get it done, but it took a while to get undone ;)

Fatcat April 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I need to clean out my home office area. It’s a mess. I’ll try 10 minutes a day.

Ann April 22, 2012 at 9:17 pm

We are in the process of downsizing and moving. I have been working on this project for over 3 mths now! So overwhelmed with deciding what to keep, what to donate and what to sell. I will spend 10 minutes each day on this project!

Maggie April 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I’m so glad I happen upon your blog. We are retired, so I try to see how far my budget can stretch. You’re giving excellent down to earth advice. Everyone should think like you do…whether they have a low or a high income! It is wisdom.

Kimberlee April 23, 2012 at 8:29 am

Thanks so much Maggie!

Lyn April 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm

My project for the next few days is my desk. With my husband now unemployed I need to get my act together after a few weeks of lots of calls and craziness. I have papers everywhere. I’m a big believer in little bites here and there too. Thanks for the encouragement!

By the way, your new place looks very cute. Love your storage in your dining area too. You are very creative. :)

Kelly Loving April 24, 2012 at 7:44 am

I am busy trying to declutter and rearrange/freshen up the house…we have been here 11 years and everything needs a fresh coat of paint as well as some TLC and decluttering.

So for this week I will tackle the 2nd room in our basement to declutter (finished the first room a few weeks ago).

Kimberlee April 24, 2012 at 7:47 am

Great ten minute a day project Kelly. :)

Jessica P April 24, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I think exercise should be my ten minute project. I always say I should exercise but I never do. I could start out with 10 minutes a day and go from there!

Kimberlee April 24, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Great idea Jessica. You may be surprised that once you get out, you’ll want to exercise longer. :)

Marian June 19, 2012 at 4:21 am

Hi Kimberlee! I stumbled across your site through Pinterest. First off, I really love the whole purpose of this site in general and then I found this section! My aunt, Rory Cohen, is actually one of the authors of the Take Ten books. I have passed your site on the her as I’m sure she will be thrilled that her books have made such a positive impact on your life. Oh for the randomness of the Internet… Take care and Take Ten! ;-)

Kimberlee June 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

Thanks Marian. I had never heard of those books, actually just came up with the concept myself, but I appreciate you letting me know.