Mar

Tuesday {cleaning} Tip: DIY Kitchen Scrubbie

More Easy DIY Projects

Tuesday Tips-Ways to make life easier. Today’s tip – get rid of that nasty kitchen sponge!

The kitchen sponge holds more dangerous bacteria than any other household item (according to a semi-scientific study by Myth Busters). :)  I don’t know about you, but I am definitely a fan of avoiding dangerous bacteria!

To solve this problem, I started using plastic kitchen scrubbies which you can throw in the dishwasher to disinfect after using. The only issue is the fact that they cost money and I hate spending money on something that I’m going to eventually throw away. My solution?  DIY Kitchen Scrubbies.

These are simple to make with the plastic mesh produce bags that oranges and onions come in. Cut the label away leaving as much of the bag in one piece as possible.

Place a rubber band tightly around the middle of the bag.

Turn the bag inside out so that the rubber band is tucked all the way inside the rest of the bag.

Secure the open end of the bag with a second rubber band.

Turn the scrubbie over and spread the top out. Presto! FREE kitchen scrubbie.

{Click Here to Pin This Idea!}

Each night after we finish putting the dishes in the dishwasher, we put the scrubbie in the silverware basket to wash with the dishes. You may have to re-assemble the scrubbie after washing.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure to place the scrubbie securely in the silverware basket! If it falls out and comes into contact with the heating element of your dishwasher it will melt on it causing an unpleasant smell and difficult cleaning job.

Budget Breakthrough Subscribe button 5

More DIY Projects

More Tuesday Tips

How Much Should I Spend on Groceries?

More Money Saving Ideas!

More Money Saving Ideas!

Rebecca March 6, 2012 at 10:35 am

Brilliant!

Michelle Lubbers March 6, 2012 at 10:50 am

I love this tip! I have been using these for a while now, but they always came apart on me. Thanks for the solution!

Kimberlee March 6, 2012 at 11:02 am

You are very welcome Michelle!

Chris March 6, 2012 at 11:39 am

I just your web site and like it! However, I watched your planner video on youtube and really would like to print some of those but it looks like the one on your blog are different? Please help. Thank you. Chris

Kimberlee March 6, 2012 at 4:06 pm

All of the printable planners are available under the Organize tab. There are some included that I do not personally use, but you can choose the ones that work for you. :)

Leeann March 6, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Regarding sponges and bacteria, what we do is, at the end of the day, rinse our sponge in hot soapy water. Then, while it is still wet, throw it in the microwave on high for 3 and a half minutes. That kills all the bacteria and has it as good as new and ready for the next day. We also use SKOY cloths and throw them in the microwave for 1 and a half minutes daily and then into the washing machine about once a week.

Kimberlee March 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Great tip Leeann. Thanks!

Dana April 12, 2012 at 9:54 am

You can wash regular sponges in the dishwasher as well. That’s what I do, replacing them every few months.

Michelle July 20, 2012 at 11:33 am

Buy alcohol and place in a spray bottle and spray away!!! I use alcohol to clean my house and this is one of the things I spay as well. :)

Heather August 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I love this idea!

Thanks for sharing

GrammyGala September 29, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Thank you for putting this at the bottom of your newsletter this week! I had seen it somewhere before but by the time I got the bag I couldn’t find the directions!! Wouldn’t you know it! I don’t have any rubber bands. I used twine instead to see if it will do! Thanks!!!

Kimberlee September 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm

You are welcome! The twine will probably work well, but may come loose in the dishwasher.