Make Your Own: Washable “Swiffer” Dusters

Affiliate Link Disclosure B

If you’re like me and you hate throwing money in the trash with disposable cleaning products, you’re going to love this: You can make washable “Swiffer” dusters!

Click here for the directions to make your own washable “swiffer” dusters from microfiber cloth.  (Thanks Little Dear Tracks!)

You can order these Microfiber Cleaning Cloths from Amazon.

Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half!

Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half!

5 Days to Budget Breakthrough!

5 Days to Budget Breakthrough!

Living on Less Than $28,000 A Year

Related AD Topics

Comments

• says

Not a dumb question at all Angie! From what I have read you can make them from fleece or from microfiber cloth found in the automotive department of stores like Walmart.

• Rebecca says

Thanks for asking that, Angie! I was wondering myself… And thanks for the answer, Kimberlee! Fleece or Microfiber…

1. Sandy says

You can make them from microfiber cloths found at dollar tree. :o) I love, love, love dollar tree microfiber cloths!!!

• says

These are actually from a different website (click the links to go to the websites) but I imagine that you could use any kitchen tool or cleaning implement that has a handle. You could look at the dollar store for something that would work.

2. Nina says

I’m going to make these for the classroom so the kids can help keep it a little less dusty! They LOVE to help clean! :)

• Ingrid K says

maybe you could alter the pattern to make slots for little hands so the kids can wear these and help clean.

3. Sandy says

Could you please provide more complete details how to sew this item? Sorry, can’t understand the sewing instructions?

4. Jessica says

I made one of these using a microfiber cloth, and it sheds too much fluff for it to be useful for me, but I think I am going to try the fleece and see if that works better. :)

5. Donna says

I am having trouble with the 3rd step. In the picture it looks like you have multiple layers together, but in step 2 it says sew 1 small to one large. I guess I am just dumb. Can you explain the steps further?
    Thanks, it is such a great idea!!!

6. Patricia Mistretta says

I tried one with fleece and it worked great, but when I washed it, it shriveled up and was useless, will try again with microfiber though because I love the idea

7. says

I loved this idea! These work better if you use fabric that has been washed a few times. You can use old tee shirts, cut slits and gently tug on each slit until it curls slightly…this will keep it from raveling. If you use fleece, that again works better if it’s older, softer and already been washed. I don’t care for the micro-fiber, but that just me. Used fabric saves lots of money and makes this project even better. If you want to make these for gifts, I suggest buying new fabric but wash it before you make any cuts to prevent shrinkage.

8. Tamara grandia says

Does this actually pick up the dirt like a swiffer or does it push it around like a feather duster?

• says

It depends on the material you use. Microfiber cloth will pick up the dust. You can also “help” out any duster by using a spray on product like Pledge. :)

9. Sandra Hager says

Thank you for these directions. I made one today with some leftover fleece. It was so easy, and when the 3yr old boy woke up, he couldn’t stop “cleaning things”.

10. Floyd Gary Clyne says

Praise! I appreciate your giving credit to the original blogs for questions you can’t answer & for providing feedback to your readers! Well done & love anything that re-purposes!

11. Kelli says

To make your fleece last longer wash it but don’t dry it. Fleece dries fast. If you dry it it make it bally (if that is a word) and can melt the fleece. Hope this helps.

12. Ronnie P. - aka Zbear1 @ SCS says

I love this idea !!! Heading for the Dollar Tree !!! Thank you sooo much!!! Great Stocking stuffer idea !!!

• Krista says

I was going to try felt, too. I think if I spray it with pledge, the dust should stick. Felt is cheap and I have a ton if it. Its worth a shot, I think.

13. Shannon says

I have wanted to try making these since I re-pinned this about a year ago! I just haven’t gotten around to buying the fleece or microfiber cloth. I was going to try felt to see if that works since I have a ton of it, but I also wondered about flannel as I have a ton of that too.

Any idea on how flannel would work?

14. Michele says

I made these with microfiber towels from the dollar store but there was too much fluff & shedding. Has anyone tried fleece or flannel? Or something else?

15. HC says

I just made the floor cloths by cutting leftover yellow fleece from another project into 8 X 10 inch pieces and tucked into the tabs that are in the rectangle already. I tried in on the hardwood floors and it seems to pick up pretty well. hopefully it will hold up in the wash. Thanks for the good idea.

16. HC says