Oct
2011

Simple Gluten Free: Easy Gluten Free Pizza Crust

Simple Gluten Free: Make Your Own Delicious Gluten Free Pizza Crust.

One of the most difficult issues with gluten free eating is the problem of finding replacements for all the bread products you used to eat. Many gluten free pre-made products are very similar to cardboard. The best way to cope is to lower your expectations that ANYTHING is going to taste the same and be adventurous in your eating.

One of our adventurous finds (thanks to my friend Brenda!) is Chebe Bread.

Chebe Bread is a gluten free, flour-like mix made from manioc, which is a root vegetable from South America.

The Chebe mix has the consistency of very finely sifted powdered sugar.

The Chebe Bread All Purpose Mix also makes a great gluten free pizza crust (and it’s economical too!).

BRENDA’S AWESOME CHEBE BREAD PIZZA

Mix together in a large bowl:

1 pkg All Purpose Chebe Mix (NOT the pizza crust mix)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp dried basil
grated cheese to taste (I use about 1/2 cup of cheddar and sometimes add 1/4 cup of fresh grated Parmesan)

In a separate bowl, mix:

2 eggs beaten
2 Tbs olive oil

Add to the dry mix and combine.  Add 3 tablespoons of water while continuing to mix. Put the dough on the counter or a cutting board. It will be moist but crumbly like this:

Knead for a minimum of 5 minutes until you can form a nice smooth ball like this:

Roll out the dough until it’s about 1/4 inch thick.

Transfer to a cookie sheet (the dough is delicate so you may want to slide the cookie sheet under the dough). Prick both sides with a fork and brush with olive oil.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes on each side watching for the last 10 minutes to make sure that it doesn’t brown too much.

At this point you can cool the bread and cut it into individual portions to place in the freezer. When you’re ready to have pizza, just place the toppings on and cook it under the broiler for 1 minute or until cheese has melted.  YUM!

You can order the 8 bag pack of Chebe Gluten Free All Purpose Bread Mix from Amazon for around $3.00 a bag.

All recipes are given with the understanding that this author is neither a nutritionist, nor has any medical training.  The author is simply sharing recipes that she has used and takes no responsibility for results that may occur in your situation.  You should seek the advice of a certified nutritionist and or your medical professional.

I’m linking up at Gluten Free Wednesdays and Tasty Tuesdays!

Kim S. October 11, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Looks Yummy! Thanks for this post, I’m looking to decrease the amount of Genetically Modified Products (GMO) in our pantry. This product “fits the bill”.

Kimberlee October 11, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Thanks Kim! Definitely not genetically modified. :)

Shannon October 26, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I recently purchased the Chebe pizza crust. Just wondering if there was a reason you use the all-purpose bread mix instead. Thanks! :)

Kimberlee October 26, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I haven’t used the Chebe Pizza Crust Mix, but my friend who introduced me to Chebe said that the other mixes didn’t work for her when she followed the package directions. Somehow the addition of the herbs to the mix really changes the texture and it didn’t turn out as well as the recipe using the All Purpose Mix. Hopefully it will work better for you! :)

Bev May 31, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I have used the Chebe crust, and we LOVE it in this family. I haven’t tried adding herbs and such, but the texture is awesome!

Kimberlee May 31, 2012 at 7:18 pm

We really like it too. :)

Kristina February 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Hi, I’m new to gluten free living and I’m intrigued by this crust. Can you describe the texture some? I’ve been eating GF crusts at local pizza shops to get an idea what to expect and find what I like before committing the money to GF flours. Some have been good, others terrible. One tasted like an old soggy biscuit covered in maple syrup. So, again, what is the texture like? Thanks!

Kimberlee February 27, 2012 at 4:13 pm

This crust is chewy and if you roll it thinner and bake it longer, it is crunchy. I prefer the chewy texture, so sometimes I roll it a little thicker and don’t bake it as long (8 min. on each side). I don’t know where you live, but you may be able to have a local grocery store order an individual bag or box of the Chebe All Purpose Mix so that you don’t have to invest a lot. They should be less than $2.00 each. I would buy two because it is different than any other mix you may have used and you might want a backup in case something doesn’t go right. :)

Evelyn March 3, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Ooh, the pizza looks so good! I went to the amazon link and the mix is definitely NOT on sale right now…have you noticed how often it goes on sale? I’ll be watching it! Thanks for the great recipe, I would love to be able to eat a piece of pizza again!

Kimberlee March 4, 2012 at 4:34 am

Thanks Evelyn. I usually keep an eye on the Chebe and post when it goes on sale. I have found it in some local grocery stores. Maybe you can ask your store if they can order a couple of boxes for you. It is less than $2.00 a box when purchased this way.

Jan April 26, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Just a tip…I tried the Chebe focaccia bread and used it as a pizza crust and LOVED it. If you get a chance, you might give it a try. The spices they already have in it are very nice. I just used Prego traditional marinara sauce and Sorrento mozzarella cheese and thought it was one of the best tasting pizzas I’ve had since going gluten-free. However, I do not have a focaccia mix tonight, so I’m going to try out your recipe with the All-Purpose Bread Mix and see how that goes. Thanks for offering this alternative!!!

Kimberlee April 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Thanks Jan. We’ll have to give it a try.

Kristin May 31, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I’ve been making this pizza crust exclusivey since I found it in our local food co-op. My son is allergic to rice in addition to the both of us being gluten intolerant. I love the texture of this crust! I am not a big fan of most rice flour crusts. The texture always leaves me craving a “real” pizza crust. CheBe is much closer to the texture I’m used to.

Diana Fournier August 5, 2012 at 10:27 pm

what is the salt contents of the Chebe pizza dough

Kimberlee August 6, 2012 at 9:08 am

We use the all purpose mix rather than the pizza mix and it has no salt in the mix, but we add a teaspoon for this recipe. I am not sure of the ingredients in the pizza dough mix.

kim September 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm

this looks great! has anyone tried using a cheese alternative or nutritional yeast with this? my girl can’t have dairy either.

Evelyn January 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I bought the pizza mix when it was on sale for really cheap, and I agree with your friend, Kimberly…the texture is terrible!! I’m excited to try this recipe with the all purpose mix like you’ve done.:-)

Kimberlee January 6, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Sorry you had that experience. I don’t know why it is so different. :(

Evelyn January 7, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Eh, it serves me right for being a cheapskate! lol

Sandy February 5, 2013 at 8:34 am

Thanks for posting this!! I have the All-purpose mix in my pantry and was wanting to make pizza….good to know someone else did something that crazy! ;) I also made their cinnamon rolls last week…only problem with them was that I ate too many!!

Kimberlee February 5, 2013 at 8:58 am

You are very welcome Sandy! Glad I could help. :)

Amy B May 23, 2013 at 11:16 pm

we are HUGE chebe fans. we’ve made probably at least a hundred pizzas with chebe. (10 yrs of GF living) my husband has perfected the crust. we use any of the mixes…regular, pizza, foccacia…all fantastic. he’s been able to do deep dish, stuffed crust…you name it, chebe can do it. it’s so verstatile…we’ve done traditional pizzas but also goat cheese & fig, buffalo bbq, and taco salad to name a few. we’ve actually considered opening up a GF pizza place using solely chebe mixes!! (oh and their cinnamon roll mix is awesome too!)

Amanda Yoder November 12, 2013 at 12:43 am

I love the Chebe pizza mix, but I’m intrigued to compare it to the plain one with adding my own spices! We also love their cinamon rolls (they don’t get as big and fluffy as non-GF, but the flavor is awesome). We also made their chese bread–with adding some herbs & butter they come out like Red Lobster biscuits!

Kimberlee November 12, 2013 at 7:52 am

Mmm! We’ll have to try that. I LOVE Red Lobster’s biscuits! Do you have a recipe that you can share?

Amanda Yoder November 12, 2013 at 10:36 am

Kimberlee, Almost–I’ve made them a few times and not kept track of how I doctored them up, so I’m going to remake them and keep track and I will write a guest post recipe for you to post shortly!

Kimberlee November 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm