May
2010

The Night Before (Accomplish More)

A rarely advertised principle of time management…

Did you know that your day actually begins the night before?

Jewish culture is well aware of this concept. The Shabbat (what Christians know as the Sabbath) begins Friday evening and continues until Saturday evening.

God set it in motion in the beginning.  The very first chapter of the Bible contains this passage:

“And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.“  Genesis 1:3-5 New International Version (emphasis mine)

Did you catch it? Evening and then morning of the first day.

Your evening determines your morning and the rest of your day. So how can you take advantage of this principle to get organized and accomplish more in your day?

Think Ahead- Right after dinner (or while cooking dinner) begin thinking about the upcoming day. Check the calendar for appointments. Check the menu and set out anything that needs to thaw. Think about your morning routine.

Gather Necessities- Put your purse, keys and organizer in a central location. If  you have a doctors appointment, pack a book to read. Have the children place their backpacks and jackets by the door. Pack your gym bag and put it in the car. Choose your clothing for the next day (so you discover now rather than later that the pants that go with the shirt you want to wear are in the laundry).

Prepare Yourself- Begin a routine that calms you about an hour before bed (writing in a journal, reading, a warm bath) rather than watching t.v. until you fall asleep. (If you don’t have TIVO, you can bet you’ll find out what happened on your favorite show first thing in the morning on the internet!). Pray and process your day.

Go to Bed-Sleep is essential. Studies have shown that our brains work at a much lower capacity when we are sleep deprived. You NEED a minimum 7.5 hours of sleep each night.  Eliminate the distractions and make sleep a priority. Pray that God will give you a good night’s rest.

Don’t let bad habits rob you of having a peaceful and restful day. Do a little work tonight to have a better tomorrow.

Next article in the Get Organized Series:

Simplify Life-Use Routines

Click here to read more articles in this series.

©2010-2013 The Peaceful Mom-Feel free to share this post in its entirety with a link to ThePeacefulMom.com and credit given to Kimberlee Stokes.

Alicia May 16, 2010 at 11:43 am

Seems I’ve heard this before. Hmmmm…….thanks for the reminder!

Kimberlee May 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I needed the reminder myself.

diane May 16, 2010 at 3:24 pm

you are so very right, Kimberlee. and it is ESPECIALLY important if you have children. the backpacks belong by the front door. Shoes belong where they belong, not strewn around the house. Lunches made. the one my kids don’t like doing is picking out clothes ahead of time. But it does make it all good.

Now *I* have to start doing your principles for ME! :)

Aimee September 16, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I have just found your site and I cant stop reading. I feel as though some one finally gets what I go through ever day…but has great answers to help us deal. I am also grateful for your openness in sharing your faith and love for it in your work. It is truly a breath of fresh air!

Kimberlee September 17, 2011 at 12:02 am

Thank you so much for your encouragement Aimee!

Frances Veenstra January 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm

So true. I find the best days are when I take 15-20 minutes and clean up and set things out for tomorrow. Glad to hear someone else thinks this way too!

Kimberlee January 18, 2012 at 10:29 pm

My day always goes better when I do, but unfortunately I have been a little slack in that department lately. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Dawn May 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I am a new reader and have to give you kudos for this post. Our family keeps the Sabbath from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Sundown Thursday to Sundown Friday is what we call PREPARATION DAY; as described through out the Old & New Testament. Like everything else, prep day starts Saturday at sundown! Making a list for every part of our life to make sure there are no “OX IN thE DITCH” situations. We are not perfect at this but the more we work to make and follow the schuedule – everything works so much better.

Becky August 11, 2012 at 8:44 am

Not sure if this would work for me. I work ten hour days and when I get home I exercise, cook dinner, then crash. In general my Fridays are shorter work days so those are days I run errands and do chores.

Instead, I wake up early to get myself ready for the day. I’m more of a morning person and find that I am more productive and awake in the early hours. I’m pretty much a zombie by 8:00pm and have no trouble getting to sleep. ;) I don’t have children yet, so this habit will probably have to change…

Kimberlee August 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I am definitely more of a morning person, but I do try to at least think about what I am doing the next morning. I totally understand the zombie by 8 pm phenomenon–LOL!