Feb
2010

Freezer Cooking-Beans

Watch my Easy Freezer Cooking Video on You Tube!

I love freezer cooking. It saves me so much time and money on those days when it is 5:00 already and I don’t feel like cooking dinner. This week I am pre-cooking black beans.

I soak them overnight (12- 18 hours) with about 2 Tablespoons of  white vinegar or lemon juice to break down the fibers in the beans and reduce the phytic acid (these acids inhibit digestion). The next morning, I rinse them and cook them in a stock pot.

When they have finished cooking, I let them cool and then place them in freezer zipper bags.

I’ve learned the hard way that it’s better to put fewer beans in each bag so that I can break off half a bag if I need a smaller amount. You could also use quart size freezer bags to store 1 or 2 cup servings so you have an exact measurement.

I can now easily and quickly put together some of our favorite recipes:  Spicy Chicken and Black Bean Soup, Black Beans and Rice, BBQ Black Bean Tostadas or Black Bean Salsa. Saving money and time in the kitchen is always a good idea!

*NOTE: For kidney beans, you do not have to add lemon juice or vinegar. Simply soak them for 12 hours.

Freezer Cooking The Easy Way

Freezer Cooking: Ground Beef

FREE Printable Menu Planners

Linda September 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Can u use this same method for pinto beans?? I’ve never froze beans before but it looks easy enough and will save time later. Thanks

Kimberlee September 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Linda I’m sure it would work. The only issue I can see with pinto beans is not cooking them so much that they are mushy (if you want to use them later in something other than refried beans!)

Kelly June 15, 2012 at 12:08 am

We freeze our beans all the time. I have started to drain them and then freeze them on a cookie sheet. When they are frozen I removed them and add them to a Ziploc. Now they are separated and not frozen in a large clump. Think frozen corn. This saves a ton of time so I don’t have to defrost.

Kimberlee June 15, 2012 at 6:45 am

That is a REALLY great idea Kelly. Thanks!

Lynnea July 3, 2013 at 7:49 pm

How long do you cook the beans in the stock pot? We eat a lot of canned black beans and would love to save money preparing my own!

Kimberlee July 3, 2013 at 8:04 pm

It takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours on low. I bring the beans to a hard boil and then turn the temp. down to low.

Molly July 4, 2013 at 10:17 am

Do you freeze them in the liquid or drained? I had seen a blog freeze with the liquid but my beans turned into a horrible fermented mush! Thanks!

Kimberlee July 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I usually drain some of the liquid, but leave a little so that the beans aren’t completely dry. Of course you should do what works best for you. :)

Wendy Keegan August 2, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Sorry to sound stupid. Is this formula for one (or more) bag of beans? TYVM

Kimberlee August 2, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Hi Wendy! I should have been more clear. I soak a 16 ounce (1 pound) bag of dry black beans in a pot with the beans covered in water. I add 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar to the water and beans and stir them. After 12 hours, I drain the beans in a metal collander, rinse them in cold water and return them to the pot. I cover the beans with water (about an inch above the top of the beans in the pot), add about 1 1/2 tablespoons salt and any other seasoning I want to use. I bring them to a boil and then turn the stove on low and cook them until tender, usually about 3 hours. :)

Barbara August 7, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I have been reading all parts of your series for a few months- you are an inspiration. I too eat lots of canned black beans, I have never tried to make my own – but now I will. I like the idea of laying them on a sheet to freeze individually but since I like to eat black bean soup I will also freeze some in a container with liquid. Keep up your great work! God bless you!

Kimberlee August 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

Thanks for your encouragement Barbara! Let me know how you like the beans. :)

Margaret Hitt November 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Kimberlee thank you. So many young wives haven’t been taught to cook. You are doing a great service for them and therefore for all of us. “You can feed a man or teach him to fish and he’ll feed himself”. I am 66 years old and still looking for more ways to save and be economical. I found you on Face Book and enjoy reading your site and ideas from other women.

Kimberlee November 17, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Thanks so much for your encouraging words Margaret. My heart’s desire is to help women be all that they can be, so I appreciate hearing that you think that I am having an impact.